Default Beekeeping bucket

422336_993165855957_145129863_n.jpg

I customized my tool bucket to hold my smoker this afternoon. I can't wait to get it out in the field. Anyone else have a custom rig to carry their tools in. Share a pic.

Default Re: Beekeeping bucket

I just have a 5 gallon bucket with an organizer from Lowe's. They sell others with a lot more pockets but this one works for me. I keep it in the cab of the pickup and mostly, I just grab one of the hive tools from it and stick it in my back pocket. Helpful to have all the other stuff I almost never need handy though. (Today I needed toothpicks while at an out yard. They were in the bucket.)

The smoker I keep in the bed of the truck. I also keep a 5 gal bucket of straw in the cab which is the fuel for the smoker.

Wayne

I've got a open top toolbox that was probably made by some kid in metal shop. It's even complete with his initials. Got it at an estate sale. It would be perfect if it was just a little larger. Can't get my smoker in there.

Yep, I've use a 7 gallon bucket with an organizer on the outside. Every pocket has something in it, better to have and not need, than need and not have. I have to be careful or I'll put so much stuff in there I can't carry it!

What is that you have strapped around the bellow leading into the bucket?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I use a METAL 5 gal pail and drop the smoker in side. I keep a couple hive tools, a few queen cages, hammer, nails. Thats about it. The metal pail wont catch fire if the smoker flares up while moving to another yard. Keep it Simple!

Adam- A metal pail is a great idea. If I had one I would use it. Fire is kind of the reason I added the smoker shelf. Carrying a hot smoker and the bucket and usually a feeder, or a honey super is a pain. Also I only have one out yard so I usually extinguish the smoker before I leave, I just wanted a place for the smoker that won't melt the plastic.

Charlie- The little strap there is just an old clothes hanger cut and bent and fed through the bucket to keep the thing from falling off.

That's a good idea!

Check with a local woodworking or paint shop. I run a shop and my pails are empty lacquer pails. Just make sure all solvent has flashed off before use, otherwise you might get a surprise when you put a hot smoker inside!

paintednuctoolbox.jpeg

Works rather well and only took me an hour or so to build from scrap wood. It has movable plywood partitions to customize compartment sizes as needed.

I have a medium size plastic ice cooler, I keep my things in at the hive, protected from the weather, works well for me.

moderators please delete this post

My bee yard is in my back yard so I keep all my tools in a plastic mail box mounted to a fence made of pallets on end in a zig zag fashion. The smoker hangs on one of the rungs with the bellows covered by a clear plastic jug which use to contain pretzels. Another plastic container has the saw dust and stick matches in it with the cover screwed tight setting on the ground near the fence.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Nice. Getting some sort of functional toolbox was an important step for me this year. Before, I had a mish-mash of bags and a jumble of stuff in my car. Now I have a nice metal box for carrying my smoker (and suffocating it when not in use), and a toolbox I made that holds all my tools, gloves and smoker (in a similar fashion to yours). It has made my yard visits much more efficient, and therefore - more enjoyable.

Adam

How about some pics for all those fancy organizers? So far, Mr. Beeman and orangekiosk are the only post with pics.

Brian Cardinal

Ace,

What kind of handles are on your supers?

Home made. The aluminum extrusion came off our buss stop that I converted into a green house. The extrusion was used to mount the glass originally. All I had to do was cut them and drill holes for the screws. Any angle would work. If you wanted to make them thicker like the extrusion I used just screw a stick of wood to the top side.
    Brian Cardinal