Default Need opinion- What's up with this hive?

I have a nuc of feral bees that have some weirdness going on. I split them from a larger hive about 3 weeks ago and introduced a marked mated queen. Last week, the marked queen disappeared, and was replaced by a different queen - who just sort of showed up. I live in AHB land, so I smashed her and added a frame of bees, eggs, and brood from another hive. That was about 3 days ago. I checked them again today to see if any queen cells were started - but lo and behold- there were none started. Could there be another queen in there? I looked twice but could not see one. That would mean three queens were in this nuc at the same time at one point.

Very strange and confusing.

Default Re: Need opinion- What's up with this hive?

Paul,

Here are a few things that come to mind.

1. You inadvertently moved the queen over when you did the split and the new mated queen was murdered.

2. There may have been mother/daughter queens (I've had that before) and you moved one of those over accidentally and your new queen was murdered.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Default Re: Need opinion- What's up with this hive?

I understand that - and that is what I thought happened to my marked queen. However - they should be queenless at this point and do not seem to be raising cells - nor can I find a queen. Why would they not raise cells unless there is a queen in there. That would mean there was 3 in the hive. They were not mother/daughters. More like one new caged mated queen and two virgins that accidentally got shook in or usurped via swarm - but three weeks into it, I would think they would have settled for one by now.