Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is it just me, or is everyone else having to feed their bees this year?

Well, I guess that is why its called farming!! Its not a good thing for the bee keeper when the hay guy / cattle rancher is happier than heck that the star thistle didnt show up this year!! I am pouring the surgar syrup and pollen patties to the hives in the country because there is absolutely NOTHING going on out there, atleast nothing that would even sustain one hive, let alone 8 hives. Seems the only place that the star thistle is taking off right now is in the foothills of the Sierras.

I even took a drive through the back roads here in the farming country surrounding Tracy and was looking for potential areas to put a small bee yard, atleast something is blooming at one time or another. Now all I have to do is get the nads up to knock on a door and ask the question, " you wouldnt happen to have a little bit of space for me to put some hives would you?" LOL

Anyone else in CA having a "less than banner" year??
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Is it just me, or is everyone else having to feed their bees this year?

Feeding like it was 1999 here too

Default Re: Is it just me, or is everyone else having to feed their bees this year?

No, it's not just you.

No feeding here. 3 weeks of dearth in june, but other than that we've had enough rain and forage for them to get by.
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b-0 winter losses in '14

Goldenrod is blooming already...going to be a long autumn...

Been feeding part of mine sence 1st of july

My bees haven't produced like in yrs past. Like Ignots said gonna be a long autumn.

Been feeding sice 3rd week in June- still no rain here

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    No, it's not just you.
    Got room in your yard for some bees!!LOL

Ray, I know you have some years on your belt keeping bees, when is the last time you have seen a year like this in CA?
    Coyote Creek Bees

AH, the joys of urban beekeeping. The neighbors water everything so God doesn't have to.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

OH I dunno, some years are better than others, and location means alot. I've been at this location three seasons now and this is a little dryer than the first year here. Seems like it was dry for me in 2007 and 2008, we had somewhat drought conditions for a couple or three years in there.

This year, we had no rain last fall and winter to say much, and the spring was too cold for flight when they needed it. Now it's dry and hot in the valley, and only beekeepers like starthistle. There is a campaign to wipe it out completely, but it is the main flow in summer for us. The county has wiped it out pretty good along the roadside edges, but it's still around here and there. I've gotten a little flow but not enough for me to get anything, and I'm feeding two hives as they support my nucs so I don't have to feed all of them.

I feel your pain about the star thistle. Here in the North East, they have been trying to erradicate the Purple Loosestrife. That used to be good for three boxes of honey in a good year. Now 90% of the plants are gone. They dont hear the beekeepers when they discuss killing off invasive species.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz abbott View Post
    AH, the joys of urban beekeeping. The neighbors water everything so God doesn't have to.
    Amen, been extracting all week and the hives are bulging. Winter collapse is just around the corner.

Here in southeast Ohio I have been feeding six hives since the latter part of May. I made the decision to expand this year and have been pouring sugar into them ever since, Oh well I suppose I am in a good position for a bumper crop next year......Bill

Adam just wait a few years, they tried to kill off loosestrife here and a few years later its back

got curious about what is a noxious weed and came across this page:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxiousDriver
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
    Adam just wait a few years, they tried to kill off loosestrife here and a few years later its back
    How long did it take? In Ny it has been four years and some return but maybe 10-20 % I miss it.

Turned out to be a pretty good year here. Next to some alfalfa fields and with the drought the farmers thought it was too small to cut and the quality too poor so they let it bloom most of the summer. Pulled 5 supers off one hive and a ross round. They had built between the frames so I am sure I lost some as they filled up.

well they started eradication in 2005 I think, this year is the first where it looks like we might get a flow from it again so it does take a while

Ya Ray, location does mean a lot, no doubt there. It seems the places where star thistle was thick last year its almost non-existant this year, then on the other hand, the places that didnt have much last year are booming this year. I am glad that the two hives I have in town are booming and providing a bumper crop of honey for me other wise I wouldnt have diddly squat. So far ive pulled 65 pounds of honey off them and they are still packing it in. Will pull again at the end of August and then split them up into four double stacked nucs for next year.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast