Default WooHoo! Just got my smoker! Now I need a fish recipe...

I'm guessing some of you on here have those big-mamma-jamma smoker rigs that you hitch up to the truck and enter the rib cook-off arena.... Sadly, my smoker isn't in that class. But I did get a nice propane fired dual burner 44" tall. Should be able to cold smoke in the winter with the single burner. I'm excited about this. I've been thinking about getting one since last November, (yet another buck put in the freezer,) but I finally hit the wall and had to buy one now. Why?

Best friend took his family to the Outer Banks for vacation... He brought back about 50 lbs of Bluefish and Spanish Mackerel. And... he and I are scheduled to go back down in 2 weeks for another fishing trip.

So.... my question is.....

How do I smoke all this fish?

I have Hickory and Oak (Jack Daniels aging barrel chips,) chips, but I understand that those are more for beef and pork. I also have Apple chips, I heard those are good for fish. I also heard Pecan is the best for fish, but I can't find that locally. I could order it, but I'd like to know if it's really that much better.

And... HOW do I smoke it? Marinade it first? Does it go straight on the rack or should I put it on foil?

I can see myself destroying all this fish... Not a good plan. But I do have a pork butt thawing out that I know will be good!

Default Re: WooHoo! Just got my smoker! Now I need a fish recipe...

Fish can be tricky until you get your method perfected .

Blue fish and mackeral definately need some time in a brine.

High mountain makes a prepackaged brine for fish that works nice you can get it at Bass Pro shops or Cabeleas.

Try very small batches weighing and timing everything till you get a method you can repeat a couple times that your happy with. I think the biggest mistake is too much smoke go light. If the smoke flavor is heavy the first bite will taste great but by the time you eat a portion it over powers you.

Mistakes will make a great smoked fish dip!
    Good Luck

Thats all fine , but how does it work on the bees?

need a like button for Adam's comment.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Quote Originally Posted by adam@azapiaries View Post
    Thats all fine , but how does it work on the bees?
    Ah... my apologies... I thought I posted this thread in the "Non-Beekeeping Related Forums."

Oh.... wait....

Thanks for the tips, MB!

Edit: MB, are you talking about this brine? I'm assuming "Gourmet Fish" is the one?
    Last edited by TokerM; 08-15-2012 at 12:55 PM.

You did, we were having fun! If I can't have fun I quit posting.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

I know... I couldn't find a way of relating my new "hot smoker" to smoking bees, so I went for the "smart-assed-I'm-offended" angle.

I'll try this:

[sarcasm] Ha Ha [/sarcasm]

I'm thinking of posting a pic of a fish hanging off the end of my bellows smoker...

You want to be popular - send food!