Default NUC robbed out, what to do?

I just checked one of my NUC splits I did about a month ago. It appears all the honey has been robbed out of it. Pretty sure it was robbing as I saw a ton of bees flying around it the other day, when I reduced the opening to only allow 1 bee in at a time. Haven't seen them massing around it for the last couple of days, guess they got the last of the goodies out about 2 days ago.

I'd like to save it as I saw the newly raised queen in there, no brood or eggs yet though. Thinking that's due to no food stores beeing available.

I've put a top feeder on to get them going and given them a frame of almost ready to emerge brood to help with their numbers. Question is, should I close off the entrance completely for a day or two, or keep it where it is and see how it goes? I'm only on an acre so can't really move it all that far. 5 other hives here. Any other advice?

Thanks.

Default Re: NUC robbed out, what to do?

No do not close off entrance you did good to reduce and feed them.you could have a virgen queen.give it a couble weeks and see how it going.

Buy or make yourself a robbing screen, and put it on after the bees are in for the night.
    It will let your bees in and out easily, as in the morning when it is in the way they will reorient to the new, higher entrance point.

But the robbers will not realize that ther is a way around the screen, adn kepp trying to go straight in -- but the screen will stop them.

Do not put any flavoring in your sugar water. The feeder could triger robbing again so keep a close eye out.

The brood will help. If you can spare several frames, the more the better
    Once you get them to size you will have to feed them through winter.

If you can rob a frame of honey from another hive to put in it might be better then a feeder. Keeping the entrance reduced is the main thing that I do to try to stop robbing. Usually seems to work OK for me.
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

You can also swap places with a strong hive. This will boost their foraging force and bring groceries in the front door.

I might have to try swapping hives. I just put a bunch of dry sugar in this evening, we'll see if the robbers return tomorrow as it appears the liquid got robbed out again yesterday.