Default Give Your Thoughts

I checked a hive this afternoon, first time in two weeks. Last time I checked it was a fairly strong hive. The honey stores were adequate. I did take some sugar water with me in case the stores had gotten low. When I walked up to the hive and looked on the landing.......I was taken by complete surprise, not a bee on the landing. I thought to myself, "this isn't going to be good." I was right. There was not a live bee in the hive. There were two dead bees on the bottom board and only 3-4 shb crawling on the bottom board and a few shb larvae scattered on the bottom board. There were dead young bees that apparently died attempting to emerge from the cells. (no these were not head first as in starving bees.) Some cells were partially uncapped while some were completely uncapped. There were no dead bees anywhere around the outside of the hive. No wax moths. Just an empty hive and empty supers. Any thoughts on what may have happened?

David

Default Re: Give Your Thoughts

Sounds like a classic case of CCD.

I wouldn't call it ccd. With no queen present.....looks like an abscond.
    Deknow

+ 1 on the absconded!
    Ralph Waldo Emerson "To map out a course of action and follow it to the end requires courage". John 3;17

Definitely absconded: they all left, probably in good health. Did they abandon honey stores? If you don't see many brood then the queen probably stopped laying some time ago and began to prepare to swarm ... which they subsequently did. It's possible that stores were robbed by other bees subsequently, or even that the colony, after establishing itself at some new location, went back to rob itself. For some reason or another, they just didn't like their house anymore. They're probably all alive-and-well ... somewhere out there.

"What kind of 'Gone' are we talkin' about ...?" (I'll stop the country-song lyric there.)

Could you give us the details on the hive set up? Type of bottom, cover, etc? Any time there is a possible abscondation (is that a word?) I always think its interesting to know the details to see if any pattern emerges. For example, its seemed that this spring there where a lot of hives absconding from SBB hives.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
    For example, its seemed that this spring there where a lot of hives absconding from SBB hives.
    I would like some details on that. How many do you know of? Did any happen in yards that had both solid and screened bottoms? How many were from captured swarms?

Possibly more absconded from screened bottom boards because that is becoming the predominant bottom board?
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph