Default Hot weather and entrance reducers

I am having robbing problems and I was forced to reduce the entrances in some of my hives. Will the hot weather (90's) that we are having hurt them with the reducers on ? It appears they are just bearing a little more from what I can tell. Also would a robbing screen be better? I don't have any and have never used them.

Thanks

Default Re: Hot weather and entrance reducers

The heat will hurt less than the robbers. The hive temp is in the 90's also, so it is not that far from the ambient temp. If you are worried about high temps, make sure that there is a vent on top of the hive for the heat to escape.

With a screened bottom board you will have no problem Bee trees have a very small opening.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

You could take a piece of #8 hardware cloth and cut a piece 3" wide by ever how long you want the reducer to be. Fold it and "pinch" it together and slide it into entrance opening. It will reduce the entrance but still allow ventilation. Regular window screen could be made to work in a pinch if you didn't have #8...will just have to make sure the window screen can't fall out easily (it doesn't have the spring action of the #8).

Using the screen will also fake off some of the robbers into trying to get in through the screen and thus lessen the number of them at the actual entrance.

I take it that you are using solid bottom boards?

Ed

Yes I am using solid bottom boards.

Then yes, using some screen to replace the solid entrance reducer will give them more air. And put a small stick (matchstick?) between the top and top super....or, open the top up enough for an entrance.

Ed

I do what Intheswamp does, and I do use window screen because I have alot. Just like his first post pic, nothing fancy. Some duct tape to front where needed. Not pretty but it works.
    Also for lids I use popsicle stick flat. I bought a big package of them at a hobby shop as they get lost easy.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I like the popsicle stick idea! Wide and thin.

Ed