Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

HELP...info needed on robbing...it's happening now

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  TheRatLover 
#1 ·
I have a small hive of one deep full of brood up to 8-9 frames full. Last week, I just started up a medium on top. I am using the 4" opening.

There is quite an excessive attack going on right now. Should I get suited up and go change the entrance reducer to the 1-2 bee opening size?

Also, every now and then I have seen bees try to enter my screened bottom board area from the rear of the hive. When I pull out the plastic drawer, there are a few dead bees on it. Do you think there is an area of the screened bottom that has too big an opening? Could it be defective? I have yet to look...

-Lori

#2 ·
Lori, yes you need to get suited up and reduce the entrance to where only a bee or twe can pass through it. this robbing will be hard to stop, if you have a garden hose nearby spray a fan of water over the hive and surounding area.

#3 ·
I put a wad of dried cut lawn (recently mowed) to reduce the entrance to the 1-2 size.

I also removed the plastic lining drawer that is below the screened bottom board and noticed bees walking around the bottom of the screen. Some tumbling off in a fight. Is this normal or may I have a defective screen?

-Lori

#4 ·
You might bave a defective screen but without giving the bottom board a good inspection I would only be guessing, the tumbling and fighting shows that the hive is doing it's best to fend off this attack. Your dried lawn cutting was good quick thinking on your part.

#6 ·
I would close off the hive completely, keep an eye out till the traffic calms down then open it in an hour or so, if it get crazy again close it up again.

The robbers trying to get in will give up in about an hour and go back home. When you open it up the robbers inside will leave full of honey and fly home and tell their sisters, who will come back and try again, but with the hole reduces and a little time for the hive to regroup they might defend themselves.

#7 ·
The grass helped, but I don't believe it to be the best option to stop robbers. Less bees were fighting as none were on the ground walking/tumbling around, but I decided to change the entrance reducer to 1-2 bee size anyways. I will look in again in an hour. If things aren't appearing to resolve, I will take action as you say.

#8 ·
FlowerPlanter, closing off the hive for an hour is an excellent idea, with my solid bottoms this would not be an option at all however a robber screen might work.

#9 ·
i kinda wondered about that because when I sealed off my nuc with a few bees and the queen I was replacing, she died. I felt so bad that she suffered, yet kinda glad that I didn't have to personally kill her upon the arrival of my new queen.

I now am afraid to close off any hive system, but I see the point of doing so when there is a screened bottom board....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.