Thread: Freezing

Another question from a rookie. Being in an area where -40 F is rather common in winter. Does days on end of freezing weather "kill off" any of the diseases in your boxes(assuming they were empty). ie. wax moth, afb spores, etc. Thanks, Steve

>Another question from a rookie. Being in an area where -40 F is rather common in winter. Does days on end of freezing weather "kill off" any of the diseases in your boxes(assuming they were empty). ie. wax moth, afb spores, etc. Thanks, Steve

Wax moths. Yes. Until it gets warm and they lay eggs again. Mites die when the bees die, so there are no mites if there are no bees and freezing makes no difference.

AFB spores will survive any amount of cold and quite a bit of heat. Boiling nor freezing will kill them.

I don't think the bacteria of EFB makes spores and I ASSUME it would die anytime there aren't larvae for it to live on. I don't think freezing will have any effect one way or the other.

Nosema are a protozoa but they make spores also and the cold won't kill them. Chaulkbrood is from a fungus and it also makes spores so freezing won't kill them.

Default Re: Freezing

will heat kill moths? if so how hot for how long?
    Noseam?
    Chaulkbrood?
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)