Default Newbee with 2 questions

I'm a new beekeeper with 2 questions/dilemmas:

1. I recently purchased 2 additional hive boxes. I asked for medium 8 frame boxes, but was given deeps. I didn't notice it until today. My question is this: I already put one of the deep boxes on top of a hive for the bees to use as a honey super. So now there is a lot of space between the bottom of the frames in the top deep box, and the top of the frames in the box beneath it. This deep box has been on the hive for about 2 weeks. I'm thinking I should remove the top deep box and transfer the frames into a medium box (after my husband cuts down the deep to a medium) to eliminate the space. Is this the right thing to do?

2. My other hive is full to the brim with bees and honey. It has two hive bodies, with two honey supers on top of those (there are some brood in the bottom honey super, since I didn't put on a queen excluder). I can add another box (once I get my husband to cut it down to medium size--see above question) but I'm wondering if I should just leave it alone, as there isn't much of a nectar flow at this time of summer where I am and I'm thinking the bees will probably eat some of the honey. But I don't want the hive to become honey bound. If I put the additional box on, it will have new foundation on the frames. I can also do a split. What do you think I should do? And if I add another box, should I put it above the brood, or on top of the hive?

Thanks so much. I hope my questions are clear.

Default Re: Newbee with 2 questions

I can only really give you an answer to your first question. And my answer would be yes, cut it down. If you have medium frames in a deep box, the bees are going to build comb from the bottoms of the frames to the tops of the others. I've had mine do this as I propped open my inner cover for better ventilation during some heat waves. They build comb and glued the top deeps frames to the inner cover becuase there was too much space. As to your second question someone else is gonna have to answer that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vstoltzfus View Post
    1. I'm thinking I should remove the top deep box and transfer the frames into a medium box (after my husband cuts down the deep to a medium) to eliminate the space. Is this the right thing to do?
    Yes, otherwise the bees will build burr comb in the empty space.

2. ... What do you think I should do? And if I add another box, should I put it above the brood, or on top of the hive?
    Not knowing your local climate, or whether you'll have a fall nectar flow, I'd add another box, on top of the hive. If there's a flow, they'll draw out the comb and fill it. If not, they'll ignore it and you can remove it before winter.

Welcome to Beesource!

As far as #1, yes, it would be a good idea to have the box size match the frame, to eliminate the extra space. If you don't do that, they may build comb in that area irregularly. And having the new frames close to the the top of the existing frames will make it easier for the bees to work the new frames.

For #2, I'd just add the new medium box on top of the existing stack. If the existing boxes are full, add another one.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks, everyone. I did exactly what you said on both counts.