Default A Top Bar comb weighs about 8 pounds....

when the comb is crushed and seperated from the honey, what volume of honey will we be left with? - Mike

Default Re: A Top Bar comb weighs about 8 pounds....

I think that would depend entirely on the size and shape of your hive, which would dictate the size and shape of your comb.

Well, weigh an empty bar and subtract that weight, so all you are dealing with is comb and honey. Then, per this link on Michael Bush's site:

"A pound (0.4536 kg.) of beeswax, when made into comb, will hold 22 pounds (10 kg.) of honey. In an unsupported comb the stress on the topmost cells is the greatest; a comb one foot (30 cm.) deep supports 1320 times its own weight in honey."

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm
    the combined weight in the example above is 23 lbs, and 22 of that is honey, equalling about 95% honey. So if your net comb and honey is 8 lbs minus 1 lbs bar weight =7*.95 or 6.6 lbs of honey. YMMV
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

That is the honey amount in the comb, but how much honey will not be recovered by crush and strain? I have heard numbers from 0% to 15% remaining with the comb.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

@ Buzz , that depends on you, if it just drips out. Then up to 15 Percent, I let mine drain for ar least 5 days. Then I twist my 5gal paint strainer bag. Until no honey comes out, then I wash my wax and feed the water back to the bees. I did a partial post of the process in the Warre forum.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson "To map out a course of action and follow it to the end requires courage". John 3;17

My calculations as following:
    From 4 full truncated Lang-style medium frames (foundationless, no sides, no bottom, basically just top bar) I got 5 kg of pure homey (crush-strain). Approximately 1 kg of honey remained in the wax (my estimate). I wash the wax and have a gallon of honey-water for mead and I got 200 gr of pure wax. So, 4 medium frames, 5 kg honey, 0.2 kg wax and 1 gallon of mead. Also, fibrous material left after wax water purification used as a plant food. These numbers are stable for my process. I noticed that the same size frames with foundation have at least 30% less honey in it. Sergey
    Last edited by cerezha; 08-01-2012 at 03:08 PM.