Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Black bear

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BPApiaries 
#1 ·
I have had 4 sightings of a bear within 100 yards of my small bee yard. Any tips on what might keep him/her away?

#7 ·
I recently installed one, yes. We've been seeing bear in the neighborhood.

I spoke with a lot of folks (internet, local bear expert game warden, other beeks) including someone locally who had a bear tear up some hives, then mess with the hives AFTER electric was installed. Per game warden's recommendations, he baited the wire with bacon, and that was the last of his bear problems.

Note that I'm talking about Mid-Atlantic region and Black Bear...

YMMV ;-)

#8 ·
A good electric fence is a good deterrent, but not always 100%.

If you can't afford a fence #1 coil spring traps (for trapping mink) Staked around the hives will pinch a bears toes if they get too close and is very effective at teaching them to stay away. They only cost about 5.00 each.

#10 ·
On another thread recently, someone was also suggesting upturned boards with a good sprinkling of sharp nails. Yikes!

I hear ya' on the cost. I'm down for around $350 to fence mine. I had to use solar. If you can plug charger into 110AC, then you can get away cheaper. Metal stakes are pretty cheap and the wire is not too bad either.

#11 · (Edited)
Bears are moving in where I am too, so I've had to do a lot of research of fencing. Some of the points I've read so far:

1- You MUST smack that bear HARD! Min recommended charge is 6000V. It's also suggested that you should be pushing at least 0.6 joules, but since you would be using a high voltage controller, and I've never heard of an apiary that needed miles of fencing, you should be fine with any controller in the high voltage range.

A horse, pig,or even bull fencing is not strong enough for a bear to be affected by it. Those only run about 3000V and less from what I can find.

2- Avoid baiting the fence. I say that for other people reading this. If you are concerned with bears, adding bacon or peanut butter baits might help bring in a bear that was just going to pass by. However, since you (the OP) have seen one within 100 yards, baiting would be the best option. (edit: I was mixing OP with other posts, but info is still applicable.)

3- Wire: Don't use the poly-wire, use plain, heavy gauge wire. Old-fashioned stuff still works best.

4- Get an A/C unit over a battery/solar one if at all possible. We're talking about a big, thick skinned animal here. They will drain out a battery pretty fast if you end up with a rather persistent bear.

Even with all that, some bears still waltz through your fence. I've talked with former BKs that were driven out of the hobby thanks to bears. Widow-walks built on the roof to hold hives seems to be the only sure-fire bear-proofing.

What about having the bear trapped and moved by the warden? It seems that you have been in contact with them. Do you know what qualifies a bear as a "nuisance bear?" Some states will trap and move just for proximity to homes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.