Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Bee smoker modifications???

Fyremedik,
    I have not done it but our state bee inspector also put a small hook on the bellows and he hangs it on his back pocket and always has it handy. If I had a lot of hives or inspect hives all day long as some folks do I think I would also add a hook.
    Just some thoughts.

As someone who yesterday worked, w/ 4 other beekeepers, 192 hives, having something like a smoker hanging off of my belt or pocket seems to me to be something I would not want to do. It would be flopping around, from side to side, I imagine.

We all smoked hives and set the smoker down somewhere w/in reach, removed the cover and the empty supers, smoked some more and moved on to the next hive. stripping off emptys until the yd was stripped down to the honey and then, using fume board, removing the boxes of honey. All the time smoking, setting it down and smoking some more. Every now and then hanging the smoker on an open hive by the hook on the front of the smoker.

But, apparently it works well for your inspector. So, maybe under some cercumstances it might fit.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

If the smoker fits !!! Wear It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Fyremedik,
    I have not done it but our state bee inspector also put a small hook on the bellows and he hangs it on his back pocket and always has it handy. If I had a lot of hives or inspect hives all day long as some folks do I think I would also add a hook.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

sqkcrk,
    I think you have a good point. The Bee inspector is not in production mode. He works slow talks with folks about what he sees, provides advice and may only do a few hives in an apiary from what I have seen.
    Just some thoughts.