Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bee smoker modifications???

Bees would still get in Buzz.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What do you do w/ your smoker when you need both hands?
    Just get into the habit of holding it between your knees. You'll develop the habit in no time, so as you are going through all your 20 to 30 apiary hives, it is always with you. It saves quite a bit of time. OMTCW

Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    Not a modification, but I picked up a good tip from Jim Tew at the recent HAS Conference for a smoker plug. A 12 ga. shotgun shell (already spent) is a perfect fit in my smoker.
    Now there's a bit of usefull information! I'll try it when I get home. ...wait, spent right?
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

The most useful modification that I have made to my smoker, and make it easy to light , was to drill a small hole in the side of the main body just above the fire grate. Made a small flap of thick aluminum foil attached with a self tapping screw as the hole seal.
    Just stuff your smoker fuel into the body, use a small gas burner to light the material through the hole, close the flap and your smoker is good to go in 30 seconds or less.

I gotta try that little lighter hole trick. That makes so much sense. Someone's (read that Dadant or Kelly or Brushy) gonna build that into their smokers soon and owe you some royalties, or at least some beer.

How's this for a smoker modification? lol
    Don't laugh, it worked perfectly until my manufactured smoker was purchased.

get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Hill View Post
    Just get into the habit of holding it between your knees. You'll develop the habit in no time, so as you are going through all your 20 to 30 apiary hives, it is always with you. It saves quite a bit of time. OMTCW
    As I do at times. I was asking challenger what he does, not seeking ideas for what I should do. I do all sorts of things such as that and put it on top of another hive. But thanks.

should there bee a connector between the bellows and the canister? Mine doesnt have one and its a royal pain to keep lit. If I prop the lid open just a tad she goes like a forest fire....I typically use burlap....using either the man lake starters or more recently some leaves.

Mark
    Your mail-box at beesource is full- you need to delete some messages. Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by b2bnz View Post
    The most useful modification that I have made to my smoker, and make it easy to light , was to drill a small hole in the side of the main body just above the fire grate. Made a small flap of thick aluminum foil attached with a self tapping screw as the hole seal.
    Just stuff your smoker fuel into the body, use a small gas burner to light the material through the hole, close the flap and your smoker is good to go in 30 seconds or less.
    Kind of interesting!
    I would like to try one like that.

Might work well when all my smoker fuel is wet. ( I don't carry any in the truck every yard has tons)

Quote Originally Posted by b2bnz View Post
    Now that's a clever idea.

I wonder when someone will manufacture smokers w/ a number of these ideas incorporated? Would anyone pay more for such smokers? I might, if given the option.

I hope challenger is reading his own Thread.

I will be making the modification for a lighting hole. It is a great idea!
    Thanks
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by buzz abbott View Post
    I would think a slit, rather than a round hole would not provide an easy access for a bee.
    Ha Ha! You need to test your slit theory on a large commercial apiary on a bad day Buzz.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I have no intentions of testing any theory that involves making a hole in my veil!
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

I have enough to do learning about bees, researching treatments, inspecting hives and mentoring beekeepers without trying to re-invent smokers, hives and things that have worked for over a hundred years. Complexity creates higher failure rates. Weight is a concern as you add this and that. Except for the new electronic computer controlled smokers that last as long as a good thunderstorm in the rain, I really doubt there is anything that has not been tried. There was a wise king that once said there is nothing new under the sun. The fool died with about a thousand wives and concubines and one of the largest apiaries rivaling many today at Tel Rehov.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    A 12 ga. shotgun shell (already spent) is a perfect fit in my smoker. No more wine corks with duct tape.
    I must have a smaller caliber smoker. I had to use a 20 ga. shell.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    I tried a 12 gauge for fit and it slid in right up to the rim. Guess I need a 10 gauge. I'll stick with my cork for now.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

I have a hook on mine. Screw it to the wood on the back of the bellows. I can hang it on my belt, pocket or the side of the hive.A 1/2 inch piece of .125 aluminum flat bar works well.

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    Yeah, I suspect it will differ depending on the manufacturer. The 12 ga. works good in my Dadant smoker, but a smaller or larger shell casing may be needed depending on the size of the opening. Add a layer of duct tape if needed, but I still like it better than the cork I was using.

Opposed to drilling a hole to light your smoker \I do this
    I have a propane lighter I hold the flame on the front side of the smoker wall and heat it till red
    this works like a car cigarette lighter when the metal is red hot it will ignite anything that
    is, in touch with it.
    It takes a min.and smoker is going strong
    I don't have to pull half burnt fuel out from last session I just re-torch it

I also added a soup can that was the same (OD) diameter as my smoker
    I used a 1 inch metal strap and riveted it to the main body to extend the fuel capacity
    I re-attached the lid ,this added another 4 inch's or so, of fuel to it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast