Default How can we save our colony ? Drones appearing,extreem drought ...was a strong colony

Drones are appearing in numbers at entrance,workers are still bring in plenty of pollen ,nectar. I allowed to long to reverse hive bodies and fear we have swarm cells along with congested upper body, plenty of stores . If I find a supersedure cells can we save it ? Or can we if we scrape off swarm cells . I need to know BEFORE we inspect so I know which way to go. Queen is a first year and clipped shipped from Weaver & Sons . Our first hive in 25 years ago we had 12 and its not coming to me and back then we sold everything.

Default Re: How can we save our colony ? Drones appearing,extreem drought ...was a strong col

If the boxes are full of bees, they are swarm cells. If the hive isn't boiling over, they are supersedure. I never remove queen cells, it increases the chances of becoming queenless. The bees know what they are doing better than we do. Open up the brood nest if it seems congested.

Default Re: How can we save our colony ? Drones appearing,extreem drought ...was a strong col

Quote Originally Posted by jadell View Post
    If the boxes are full of bees, they are swarm cells. If the hive isn't boiling over, they are supersedure. I never remove queen cells, it increases the chances of becoming queenless. The bees know what they are doing better than we do. Open up the brood nest if it seems congested.
    Jadell, Thank you as I didn`t want to just open it up without some insight. They aren`t boiling over just plenty busy in and out . To my horror Sun nite I noticed a lot of drones doing what they do ,yet workers still on a mission . I will reverse the bodies ,I`m assuming they are out of room. Just started up this year not expecting them to draw all frames from foundation like they did. Only tow hive bodies and one shallow super which MAY be full and capped like the full bodys were a month ago when I added the new super with foundation (10 frame).

If you havent been in the hive in over a month you may find some things like swarm cells etc. and have questions. Make sure you bring a camera and get some pictures of the brood frames and anything you are curious about. Makes it easier!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Hi all , No swarming cells just congested . Heavy full super ,all capped so I robbed that and reversed the hive bodies because the bottom felt much lighter. If there were supersedure cells ,I could have missed them because I just wanted to give them room to wrk. Now I need to extract the super and set it back on . Work shut off here in IL so we didn`t buy the extra supers,the uncapping knife, the extractor. But I`m stoked because we have a super to empty into jars!!! I blew bees out of the super by tipping it on side and using my commercial backpack blower then wrapped up super in a mesh tarp and have it in the garage with just a few stragglers.
    Now to figuer out how to extract this super. I do have a fine nylon mesh cloth that fits in a five gal bucket,but it will take forever to drain frames out I recon with gravity.

Gardener,
    check any local or somewhat local bee supply stores. I have a shop I can borrow an extractor from. It is a little bit of a drive but I'm not quite ready to buy my own. Maybe there is one closer than you think
    DsBs.Etsy.com

Curious why you would reverse this late in the year? As the bees bring in late season nectar they force the queen down into the lower box and use the pollen they have stored down there to feed the broodnest as it moves down. When winter sets in she is in the bottom box with a small broodnest and all the honey she needs for winter above her head. At least that is how I understand it.
    USDA Zone 5A

Im new again to bees , we had 12 colonies 25 years ago and need to stick my head into the books. I had a tutor back then and he is long gone. But confidence is returning seven fold at 56 years old. Lord willing and simply because we have no pencian this is my pursuit ,the bug has me again.

You will be fine. My mentor told me a very important thing which has helped me greatly on this journey. If you don't know what to do then do nothing because the bees know better than you. If you inspect your hives every ten days or less and you see eggs and don't see swarm cells then let the bees be bees and add a super when they need it. If you see swarm cells then let them think they swarmed by taking the queen and a bunch of frames. Simple as pie. That is Bee Management Simplified and how I approach it.

If you don't see eggs then you look at options. Simple as pie.
    USDA Zone 5A

So you take the old queen and frames . How far from that hive would you take them to esablish a new colony so they don`t go back to the original?

Sometimes I put them on the stand right next to the old hive. Or move them wherever I want them to be. The foragers go back to the old hive and the queen and the nurse bees stay. I check it in a couple of days and if too many bees have left due to them having been foragers I just shake a frame or two of nurse bees into it. Any bee that has never been out of the hive will stay.
    USDA Zone 5A

Thank you, very valuable!