Thread: Bee-Z Smoker

Default Bee-Z Smoker

Anyone use or own a Bee-Z Smoker? It has a handle with a bower and uses heater coils to burn wood chips.
    Is it worth $145?

Default Re: Bee-Z Smoker

I have one - I am not completely sold on it yet. It can be tough to get going - a pain in the neck when I'm checking hives two minutes apart only to find that I have to "light" it again.

Light it? That is your problem... the Bee-z never gets lit. It has a heating element in it that burns wood shavings creating smoke. If you read the Directions it says not to light the smoker like a traditional smoker because it will damage it.

I have one and it works quite well. It is an "on demand smoker" it never gets hot because it only makes smoke when you are pushing the button for smoke. The smoke is cool which is what you want for the bees. I can throw it in the car minutes after using it and not worry about starting a fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ohTdDWZZ4

Plain old smokers work so well and without fail........can someone explain why you would want to spend more money for something that has parts that can fail?

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Horses and buggy's worked so well too This is like the the automobile of smokers. I can go to a yard, dumps some wood shavings in it and 30 seconds later be smoking the hives... When I am ready to move to another yard there is no concern of cooling it down or dumping it and starting a brush fire... I give it a good shake, put it on the front seat and head to the next yard. No down time lighting and putting out smokers.. as long as I have a charged battery and some wood shavings I am in business.

And in case of failure I have several old smokers as backups.

for me, it is because i live on the dry, drought- stricken plains of colorado. one spark and i and my neighbors could lose everything...

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    Plain old smokers work so well and without fail........can someone explain why you would want to spend more money for something that has parts that can fail?

Mike