Hybrid View

Smile FLOW? What exactly is it and how do I know it's time?

I am a newbie Beek, this is my first hive. I'm super excited because it's doing well, and I've been enjoying it so much! I read/hear a lot about honey flow, nectar flow etc.. I live in Aurora CO, anyone know when that would be? And can someone explain what it actually IS! Thanks!

Default Re: FLOW? What exactly is it and how do I know it's time?

Honey flow: Period when bees are collecting nectar from plants in plentiful amounts.

Above is the definition from the glossary at the top of this section. As another newbie I think the trick is understanding the start & stop of the flow(s) in our area, plus any derth that feeding is needed. I did not expect any harvest during my first season while building up my first hive, 2June start and dealing with SHB issues. Also acquiring hardware as necessary to prepare for next season since I started late this year when box bees become available.

How these periods are determined is also something I would like to know as each area is different.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I have a good strong hive, I'm not sure I'll be collecting uber amounts of honey or anything, frankly the whole extraction thing is freaking me out a bit, it just seems like it's going to be such a hassle. However, I really wanted to do honey jars with comb. I saw an amazing article and wanted to do that, the author said you should be in flow, since we are having crops blooming and everything going wild here in CO right now (plant wise) even given the horrible heat, I think now is the flow time here. I have an acre of a huge garden myself that is in bloom and my bees are working double time in the corn and squash, beans etc... I think I'd be OK

I just planted a 4X12' plot of Borage in one of my raised beds, and hope I get blooms in Oct. But will plant in Spring again as it is suppose to be a prodigious nectar producer. I will also be looking for flow and feeding when necessary so I get a good start next Spring.
    Best of luck.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

N5RWH de KQ6AR, I see you're in zone 9a, I'm in 9b. You shouldn't need to reseed you're borage it will do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    I just planted a 4X12' plot of Borage in one of my raised beds, and hope I get blooms in Oct. But will plant in Spring again as it is suppose to be a prodigious nectar producer. I will also be looking for flow and feeding when necessary so I get a good start next Spring.
    Best of luck.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    N5RWH de KQ6AR, I see you're in zone 9a, I'm in 9b. You shouldn't need to reseed you're borage it will do it for you.
    Now that is the second piece of good news I have gotten today on my beeking! I also just found out that Country Rubes has Freeman oil trays for their SBB bases and I have two, so I am ordering 2 trays on Thursday. Since I just planted my Borage on Sat. 28 July 2012 if they bloom it will be in Oct., assuming a 60 day to bloom. Now If I am REAL lucky I will also get seed. If not then I will sprout new seeds in the house 2 weeks before last frost for an early start.
    Thanks so much for the input!
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

here in northeast alabama it's easy to know when we have are in the main nectar flow of the year. it happens april-may, and there are blooms everywhere you look. the bees are coming and going in huge numbers. most come back to the hive with their pollen baskets full and their abdomens extended. wax is being drawn quickly and nectar is being stored in quantity, so much so that you can see an obvious difference from one week to the next.

it's more difficult to judge the degree of the flow after the main flow is over. i notice that during periods of prolonged hot and dry weather, most of the activity involves the bees flying to the pond and back for water. after a good rain though, there is increased foraging for a few days.

i think we get some on and off nectar flow through the summer months here. enough anyway to where the bees don't have to eat through too much of what they had stored by late spring.

things pick up again in the fall, especially when the goldenrod and other fall weeds bloom. it is possible again during the fall flow to see stores increasing from week to week.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

wickedless, you and i cross posted, but i have a comment on using your drawn comb. i've noticed that most of the comb i get is drawn in the spring. in the fall they just fill up what they already have. personally, drawn comb has been so challanging to get so far that i would not want to harvest any. i read somewhere that it takes several times more resources for the bees to make comb that to fill it. the drawn comb is not only good for a bigger honey harvest, but is useful for swarm prevention by allowing you to open up the broodnest and/or checkerboard in the spring. it is also handy for using in swarm traps.

on the other hand, i love to chew on the wax cappings i get while extracting, and a lot of my honey customers say they would like a little comb in the jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedlees View Post
    I am a newbie Beek, this is my first hive. I'm super excited because it's doing well, and I've been enjoying it so much! I read/hear a lot about honey flow, nectar flow etc.. I live in Aurora CO, anyone know when that would be? And can someone explain what it actually IS! Thanks!
    Take a look at this link for the Houston area. You need to look in your local beekeeper associations websites up to your state beekeeper association to find your local "generalized" flow periods. Weather and water conditions can cause a shift, but they are excellent guidelines specific to your area.
    http://www.houstonbeekeepers.org/hbayear.htm
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I think when the flow is on is a particularly hard question for the urban beekeeper to answer. We in the urban environment do not have masses of native plants nor do we have fields of crops for our bees to forage on. However, local gardens and landscapes do provide forage. If you live in an urban area look around and see what is blooming that the bees are working. As an example, I find in my own neighborhood that rosemary is often used as a landscape element, and the bee work it intensely when it is bloom. They also work many kinds of trees, for my area avocado, citrus, eucalyptus and pepper trees all are good sources when in bloom. The calendars mentioned will also help you figure it out.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

I spent a cpl of hours this morning transfering some nucs into full size boxes, most of which were ten frame nucs, dbl 5 framers. And then I supered them w/ shallow supers above excluders. I also put one shallow super on each of the hives in my home yd which showed bees up in the super above the excluder or those which have a medium of honey already and lots of bees.

Going back 4 hrs later I found bees in the shallow supers and some of the cells already have nectar showing in them. That tells me a flow is on. If I find tomorrow that there is a lot of nectar in the combs then I will be able to determine the current strength of the flow.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

awesome mark. i think we're just around the corner here, the first goldenrod is starting to pop.

I tell my my hive scale. Check out the flow for me this year. It seems good and has not really stopped all summer.

http://home.comcast.net/~khaas15/Weight.pdf