Default Found someone nice enough to give me some hands on experience.

I found someone locally willing to give me a first hand lesson on taking honey. He had a full super and was nice enough to show me what to do when taking honey. Everything went well untill we started extracting the honey, the combs just blew apart, all ten of them and what a mess! I not knowing exactly what happened sheepishly said, Is this normal ? He said that he had never had that happen before and he had been keeping bees and radial extracting for years. He doesn't use or have the internet so I told him I would post on here to get some answers. I noticed( but didn't say anything) when we uncapped the combs, there seemed like there wasn't any or very few cells. Maybe it was because there was so much honey. The frames were full and very heavy. I am planning on buying a small extractor but if this is what I am in for, I think I will pass. Anyone ever had this experience ?

Default Re: Found someone nice enough to give me some hands on experience.

I used a 4 frame of my own, and 105 frame of my Uncles. Never had any frames blow apart, we always started slow then increased speed until empty. I dont use one any more, I just crush and strain,my choice. So I would say, don't give up yet, try slow with increasing speed slowly.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson "To map out a course of action and follow it to the end requires courage". John 3;17

I've had a few blow apart on me this year. They were removed and extracted on a very hot day and they were all with first year comb.

What was the temperature when u were extracting? In warm areas, frames should be allowed to cool before trying to extract, (softer wax = more likely to fail). Just a thought.

Sam, are you using wired foundation or foundationless? Either way, going slow is should help.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

common if you extract a warmer frame.
    Let them cool and start very slow for about 5 mins.
    Then bring the speed upp abit for another 5.
    Then higher for 2-3 more.

Also combs where the caps have been cut off extract much better.
    The scratched caps or peirced caps will blow-out easier.
    Cut the caps off!
    Old Guy in Alabama

It was a little warm yesterday, the temps were in the mid 80's. The frames apperared to both wired (built into the foundation) and no foundation. We started to extract in a cool basement and the first two frames blew apart. We then moved outside thinking they were too cold, Thanks to you folks, I'm thinking we didn't let them cool long enough before the extraction process. We did get 3 gallon of most excellent honey !! I can't wait untill spring!!! gain, thanks for all the helpfull suggestions. I will relay them.