Default Cut It or Leave It?

One of my hives was trying to swarm, so today I cut out all the swarm cells. There were about a dozen swarm cells and one supersedure cell. My question is whether or not to cut this one out. I didn't locate the queen, but I did see larva and I'm fairly certain there are eggs. This happened to my other hive, and I cut them out, and now they are queenless. Are they trying to replace the queen, or will they swarm if this one hatches? The queen that is currently there has her wing clipped and cannot fly away. Thanks.

Default Re: Cut It or Leave It?

I would take the old queen and a few frames and move them to a new hive. This is the only way I can think of to stop them from swarming or wanting to swarm if they have gotten this far.
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Personally I never cut out Queen cells. I see Queen cells as a gift that I can manipulate for the betterment of all involved. In a situation you are describing (assuming a full size hive) I steal 3 to 4 frames of brood, honey and bees and put them in a nuc. I'd even shake an extra frame or two of bee in there for good measure. Preferably replace the frames with empty drawn comb, but undrawn comb will do too. Assuming you found the queen move her to the nuc. Assuming you didn't you'll figure it out within 3 to 5 days which hive has the queen via eggs. You can never have too many healthy queen right nucs. They are great for stealing frames brood, eggs, honey, queens, or even combining with a failing hive.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I don't have any deeps or nucs available, and I don't want another hive. If I did have spare parts, I would create another one and then combine. But by the time I would receive the equipment, the cell would have already hatched. Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

It's a tough call. Since your queen is clipped I would just leave it. Let the bees sort it out. Obviously they want to replace her for some reason and it's a good time of year for that to happen if the new queen can get up and running before winter.

If you want you can use this guys design to make a few nuc boxes. You could even take the measurements with you to a box store and have them make all the cuts for you. That way all you need to do is put it together.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...sOesdDY1-Kf_-Q

Quote Originally Posted by T152 View Post
    There were about a dozen swarm cells and one supersedure cell.
    Bees may be planning to swarm, or may be superseding, but not both. Position of queen cells is an indication of what they are planning, but isn't absolute. Typically, they only make a few supersedure cells, if you cut out a dozen, then they are planning to swarm.

...I cut out all the swarm cells
    Usually a bad idea, as you will too often be left queenless. A clipped queen can end up on the ground in front of the hive somewhere. Swarms will leave with virgin queens if the original queen can't leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaseemtp View Post
    If you want you can use this guys design to make a few nuc boxes. You could even take the measurements with you to a box store and have them make all the cuts for you. That way all you need to do is put it together.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...sOesdDY1-Kf_-Q
    I'm biased but I find these plans easier and less expensive. http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...oates-version/
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

D Coates I do like your plans. I just suggested the others because I was not sure if the original poster had or was able to use a circular saw.

I love Coates nuc plans, infact I really need to get to making some more this weekend!!
    Coyote Creek Bees