Default NW Arkansas, the SH Beetles are here ....

Not seen much evidence in my hives this year until now. The heat and drought of July has really been hard and I dread August. Opened up the first hive on Saturday and the bees have the beetles corralled in corners of the inner cover. Smash and squish them all! Went down into main hive body and the only place I could find any evidence or presence of SHB was on the one green pierco drone comb.... in the little slots along the sides of the frame.... like 50-60 beetles hiding in the crevices. SO I pulled all drone comb from all the hives and cleaned all the oil traps and refilled. All hives are good and strong and are fighting the SHB off but they are here again in full force.

1. no more drone comb this late in the season
    2. no extra unused supers
    3. keep oil traps and pest management up to full force

Sully

Default Re: NW Arkansas, the SH Beetles are here ....

Same here in Houston. Are you using veggie oil or mineral oil?
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I have had them in my SBB oil trap since the week I started my hives in May, hear in Central Ar. I find, on average 100+ SHB in SBB trap a week when I clean them out (using veggie oil). Did not see any in hive tell early July and only a few running around and a few in Bettel Jail traps. When I add hives next year I will only put them in with SBB Oil traps, not hard to make. I have also notice watching the hives right before dark you can see and sometimes catch the SHB coming into the hive, not sure if they come in other times of day.

DJS thanks. I just checked and will order the Freeman oil trays for my Country Rubes SBB bottoms I have already have. I regret giving up my ventilation, but if it helps my girls no problem.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a