Default 1st Year beek in CO

Hi All,
    I am a new beek from the Front Range in Colorado. I live on a one acre property with chickens, bees, an orchard, gardens (including a wild forage garden for both my bees and chickens). I have a TBH and caught a swarm in my neighborhood this past April. They are an incredibly strong colony (at least I think they are). They had drawn out 5 full combs in a weeks time (maybe this is normal?). I was told to not open the hive for a year and just let them do their thing, but being a hands on person I felt compelled to have a look to try to understand them better and to learn to work with them. I have opened the hive about once a month and each time I learn something new - usually through some mistake I made! I hope the bees will forgive me! I am so looking forward to learning more from 'old hands' in this forum so I can be a better bee keeper!
    Jane

Default Re: 1st Year beek in CO

welcome Jane

Welcome. If you want to learn about the bees that you have in your box you should look at them every ten days or so. Staring at a box is tough learning.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I also am a hands on person and love checking in on the girls. Welcome from another new beek!
    Donny

Welcome to the site!

Thank you. I have been trying to reach a balance between looking in there and not disturbing them too much.

A week to 10 days between inspections this time of year is about right. TB hives can present different challenges to your managing them, as you will get to know. You can also learn a lot by just observing your bees and not opening up the colony.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Welcome Jane! Bees do not have any signs saying they are queenless at the front door. Biology wise every 18 to 21 days is good. Significant events happen in that time.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome neighbor Jane!! Limiting examinations to once a year is pretty extreme; not only does it prevent you from helping them (or even knowing) if they get into a little trouble, but it prevents you from beginning to learn from them! Things like what a good brood pattern looks like, what pollen they're storing, how much stores they have and how comb drawing is going, on and on.

Let your instinct guide you and start befriending the girls . You'll both benefit.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Thanks Ben! My husband just told me the moderator lived in Lyons! I was hoping to meet someone from the area! Maybe I can watch you work your hives some day??

I also thought waiting a year was extreme which is why I have looked in the hive every 3-4 weeks. In June I started to do a hive inspection and got about 1/2 way before the bees let me know it wast time to leave them alone. I wasn't sure if what I was seeing was normal or not (there seemed to be alot of empty cells). Anyway - I hope to learn more. I love having bees!

Thanks for everyone's nice welcome! I can see from the many comments that I really need to look in on the girls more often.

Welcome, I have an uncle and a couple of cousins that live in Longmont.

Thanks! Are your Uncle and Cousins beekeepers as well?

No