Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lotion bars

Default lotion bars

Can anyone share a good recipe for lotion bars using honey or beeswax? thanks.

Smile Try this

Quote Originally Posted by aladin View Post
    Can anyone share a good recipe for lotion bars using honey or beeswax? thanks.
    Try 3 oz. beeswax
    3 oz.shea butter
    4 oz sweet almond oil
    2.5 oz. cocoa butter
    measure this out by weight and melt in a double boiler. remove from heat let cool to 120 degrees F. Stir in 1 oz. honey. Make sure to stir it in and as the temp drops below 100 degrees pour into your mold. Small dixie cups work well for this. Pour about 2 oz. in each cup. Makes a lovely bar. Honey will sometimes drop out after the bar hardens. Honey can be omitted.
    Steve
    Steve<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cozynestfarm.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cozynestfarm.com</a><br /><br />All that\'s golden must be honey

Hey Steve,

That recipe looks nice. I may try this one. One question, after it hardens and sets up. How long should it cure before you get to use it??
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

Smile Yes, try it

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndi View Post
    Hey Steve,

That recipe looks nice. I may try this one. One question, after it hardens and sets up. How long should it cure before you get to use it??
    Hi Cyndi,
    You will love it and there is no wait time. As soon as it hardens you can use it. This is a big seller at our farm market. All I have to do is get it in their hands and they are hooked on it, especially in the winter, I call it lip balm for your heals, elbows and knuckles.

Let us know how it comes out, and how you liked it!
    Steve<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cozynestfarm.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cozynestfarm.com</a><br /><br />All that\'s golden must be honey

Thanks Steve, I have a winter project to try.
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

Default Lotion Bars

Any clues to the best source for prices on Shea butter, Cocoa butter? Thanks for any info.

Smile Soapers Choice is good

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Any clues to the best source for prices on Shea butter, Cocoa butter? Thanks for any info.
    I've found soapers choice to be a reasonably priced and they will package in small quanities too. Try them
    http://www.soaperschoice.com/

Thanks, had not discovered them yet.

Default Another source

I have used Camden Grey for the last three years. You can actually use most types of vegetable butter in the recipe stated. I used Mowrah Butter for a while but am switching back to Shea Butter as I like the texture of the finished bar better. Camdengrey.com. Theresa.

Default Cocoa Butter

Dumb question, but are you using Deodorized Cocoa Butter or the Prime pressed Golden for your lotion bars??? Is the difference in how it takes the scent and how much scent would need to override the scent of the Cocoa??

Dumb question, but are you using Deodorized Cocoa Butter or the Prime pressed Golden for your lotion bars??? Is the difference in how it takes the scent and how much scent would need to override the scent of the Cocoa??
    If I'm going to be adding an EO or flavor oil then I will use the deodroized. If just plain the the prime pressed works to give a nice warm cocoa sent, thought faint. I like that best for me, so I don't smell like some girl.

Default lotion bars

sc-bee

Default Lotion Bars

Instead of the double boiler is it possible to use the Presto Pot for melting everything together?? Thanks for any info.

Instead of the double boiler is it possible to use the Presto Pot for melting everything together?? Thanks for any info.
    a presto pot will work there is a thread that was started of a pot that they had added a tap for pouring. make sure you get one with a thermostat to control the heat. we wouldnt want a fire. I personally havent used one I use the double broiler guess I am just old fashioned.

Come on RR, live on the wild side a little!!!

Big Grin bizz you are right

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Come on RR, live on the wild side a little!!!

man Bizz you are a hard case. Think I might have to do that wild side thing. When are you going on vacation. I am going to take my vacation at your home while you are gone using your advise I am going to make lotion bars and lip balm. I will already have the mead made for the trip
    Last edited by riverrat; 11-05-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Well that's what I call the wild side!! Maybe I'll find enough pieces left over to send you back home when I get back? My attack bees are trained to take no prisoners! Your own yer own here without me! They only stop if they hear my specially designed bee whistle.................

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Well that's what I call the wild side!! Maybe I'll find enough pieces left over to send you back home when I get back? My attack bees are trained to take no prisoners! Your own yer own here without me! They only stop if they hear my specially designed bee whistle.................

bizz I had to think this one out a bit and have decided the bees are not going to be a problem I have a cell phone which will block there magnetic band in there brain. not only will they not find me they may not find there way home. wasnt that one of the theries on ccd

here is a recipe for lotion bars I use

4.5 oz bees wax
    4.5 oz shea butter
    4.5 oz cocoa butter
    4.5 oz of olive oil
    fragrance to scent

melt all in a double broiler ( or presto pot for those living on the edge)
    pour into mold

Default Lotion Bar Packaging

Greetings,
    Is anyone using any packaging other than the tins I see lotion bars put up in? Is there a preferred mold and where did you get them? Thanks from a beginner.

Manitoba, Canada, North of the 50th Parallel

Quote Originally Posted by bee crazy View Post
    Try 3 oz. beeswax
    3 oz.shea butter
    4 oz sweet almond oil
    2.5 oz. cocoa butter

I tried making lotion bars with shea butter, but the shea butter gives them a very "smoky" smell. Are there different refinements of shea butter available that take out the smoky smell?

JH
    Happiness comes from within

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast