Default The most frustrating part and what do you do?

What I find most frustrating is they seem to cross honey comb over one bar and then return to the original bar. If it were brood, I'd be more careful, but for honey, I use the bread knife, cutting upward to separate the two. Yep, it exposes honey, but I figure they will recover it and place it somewhere in the hive.

What is your approach in this case? - mike

Default Re: The most frustrating part and what do you do?

Also, when one comb isn't filled out completely, and they start curving the next comb
    off onto the open space of the partial comb behind it. I tell them not to do this.
    They don't listen. It's just something I have to deal with in the honey storage area.
    For some reason they don't do it in the brood combs. Just "honey only" combs.
    I didn't have to deal with this last year. They barely made enough to get through
    the mild winter we had this year.

I'm in a foundationless lang. They did the same thing to me. The two frames on each end were crossed with honey comb 4 inches thick. I had to cut it out causing a giant mess. I left them some at the top of the bar but at the right thickness and straight. For the most part they fixed it. The honey comb is more narrow and straighter but not perfect. I think it's going to be a struggle keeping them on track.

My dads bees (in langs) seem to do the same thing in the honey stores. They pull great comb in the brood area, but the honey storage is a mess. I was thinking maybe the queens are slave drivers in the brood area, but in the stores the girls have no one there to give them direction!

I've found in my TBH's that once corrected, they seem to catch on and not curve it anymore. Maybe I'm just lucky. What I like to do, is rather than wait for them to necessarily start building out honey combs, I add one bar to the brood nest each week. They quickly draw this one to fill in the brood nest, and at the back of the brood nest, they begin to store more and more honey. Of course if they have laid brood in the comb then it's not good for cut comb honey. But I make an effort to always make sure that the last bar on the brood nest is good and straight. The first bar of true honey that my girls pulled was about 2" thick, so much so that I couldn't line it back up in the hive with proper bee space. It really was too bad, I had to go ahead and harvest it...
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

I'm sure that it totally sucked having to harvest that 2 inch comb. <grin>