Default Queen marking tube?

Never mind, I found one but if you have tried a couple different ones, please tell me which one you like the best. Thanks.

I am using a queen marking tube to mark queens with a numbered disk. My left thumb is half numb so I dont want to hold queens with my left hand and mark them. The tube is working fine however it is hard to know if you are applying to much pressure on the queen and the hard top in not forgiving. I have good success mostly but every so often one gets hurt and I am positive if the top mesh were cotton or some fabric instead of plastic that the queens would never get injured. Does anyone know where I can get a push up tube with a more forgiving top mesh or can direct me to a better gadget all together? I have thought about making my own gadget from a crown used in England right on the comb that has cloth mesh instead of plastic. I would try to mark on the comb but I want to let the glue dry away from the bees.

Default Re: Queen marking tube?

The one I got from Brushy Mountain has a mesh top. Works great. Haven't injured a queen yet.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I have two... one purchased, and my homemade version. I use the homemade one. The plunger stays put, and it stands up on its end.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...e+marking+tube
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

beecurious, what are the parts, a med bottle, pvc tube, top ring?, mesh?, foam? And where did you get the ones I cant figure out, lol. Will disks fit through that mesh?

Keith, I like that one, thanks.

After using the one I have, I cant believe a beek would consider something so harsh for the top mesh as the one mann lake offers. The foam is also so loose it will fall out so you have to hold it from falling out. This makes it easy to hurt the queen as when you are trying to supply even pressure so she does not move when marking because you can get a little shaky after a bit thinking you might not have her tight enough any longer ect. hard to explain unless you are or have experienced it.

All in all, I am loving the fact my queens are going to eventually all be marked except the one that just got supercieded etc.

[QUOTE=BeeCurious;832280]I have two... one purchased, and my homemade version. I use the homemade one. The plunger stays put, and it stands up on its end.

How'd you make it?

I have used a marking tube for a while and really like the way they work.

I like you're design better than my mann lake one. Is that a piece of foam cut for the plunger?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    I like you're design better than my mann lake one. Is that a piece of foam cut for the plunger?
    A slice of foam is glued on top of rolled up cardboard. And a piece of paper is wrapped around the cardboard to make it look a little nicer...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I made something similar but used a wood dowel for the plunger handle. You could easily make the screen out of another material. Here's a link.

http://honeysunapiary.wordpress.com/...-marking-tube/