Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Wanted hive top feeder that wont drown bees!

Don't throw away your Brushy Mountain hive top feeders-I had the same problem until I got some plastic cross stitch canvas from Michael's Crafts for a couple of bucks, and cut it to fit the floats. Cut it so that it fits inside the end bars of the floats, right up against the wood strips. Works like a charm. I like these feeders because I can put a lot of syrup in them.

I'm with Cleo. After trying every feeder on the market plus baggies, etc. a jar on top works better than anything else. Drill a 3 inch hole in either a nuc lid (pretty much all I feed these days) or use inner cover. You can easily see who needs food easy refill.

for those with metal covering their top covers and can't drill....

the quail feeders/chicken waterers have been what i found to cause the least drowning. i found that putting 3/8" wooden balls in the trough prevented the bees from getting submerged.

i put them inside an empty five frame nuc box on top of the ten frame box, and used an extra five frame migratory cover over the remaining frames.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I have a doz of these that I modified with a full top screen. This keeps bee's from finding cracks between the cover and the feeder, slipping in and drowning. They hold more than enough feed
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...r-type-feeder/

I also like the jar through the top. I use an adjustable hole saw so that they fit tight. I also cover the hole on the inside with 1/8" hardware cloth so you can change without bees pouring out the hole. Another feeder that I use is called a RAPID FEEDER. I purchase them from The Bee Works here in Ontario. They work really well but cost $7.50 each. I rarely find any dead bees in the rapid feeder.
    Last edited by Creekside; 08-03-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Adding info

Large ziplock bags work surprisingly well. I used them by putting an empty shallow super on the top of the hive, with the top board between it and the next hive body. The bees had access through the ventilation hole.

The only problem with them is they cannot be refilled easily.

This inexpensive hive top feeder has a good design that results in few bees drowning:
    http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/inde...products_id=14

I use a feeder made by a man near me...kind of like the Fat Man, but he makes his ladders out of wire completely...nice job. My hives eat 3 qts a day when they want to eat, and it takes one filling. Ants like the feeders as well, but that just seems to be part of the deal. Bees almost do not drown, and a great many can eat at the same time... here is his link
    http://basprings.com/Equipment/feeder.asp. Good equipment, and you can replace the tins from Walmart every year or so for a buck.

My best luck in high feed rate so far has been a 5-quart bucket with a tight fitting lid. Rows of #60 drill holes drilled to line up with the gaps in the frames (a row every 1 1/2 inch, holes 3/4 inch apart in the row) . It sits inverted on a piece of plywood with a hole cut out one inch smaller diameter than the lid. I set an empty deep over the setup, and a top. No bees in the bucket chamber, no rogue combs, great insulation.

I hope to find a clear setup, and use an observer hive box for the bucket chamber - look and see if they need more syrup without opening the hive.

For queen rearing, I feed patties, 5-quart buckets, Mann Lake frame feeders, Boardmans, and filled combs. Crowded, well-fed, queenless, and nothing to do but make Q.C.'s....

I just bought a hive bottom that has an entrance feeder built into the back (to prevent robbing). It has a block that holds the feeder in place and its completely sealed into the back of the hive. Has anyone seen these before?

I make my own hive top feeders. Similar to the miller feeder, but mine don't have the wooden "baffles" that the miller type uses.

I make a slot across the middle, then put a piece of 1" x 3" on either side of the slot, tight to the bottom of the feeder so that there is a gap at the top between the 1" x 3" and the inner cover when installed. So, the bees come up through the slot, over the top of the 1" x 3", and into the feed chambers. I cut a 1/8" or 1/4" thick piece of ploystyrene sheeting to a size which leaves a 1/4" gap all the way around (between the sheet and the edge of the feed chamber), and place one sheet in each chamber. The bees crawl around on top of the sheet and collect the syrup around the edges. No dead bees. Ever.

I use mostly scrap lumber for the feeders, and scavenge the polystyrene, so my cost per feeder is whatever the nails and glue cost me (negligible), plus a couple of dollars' worth of beeswax which I use to coat the inside wooden surfaces. I don't use varnish or polyurethane on mine- yuck, lol.

I have several different applications for the hive top feeders, and really like them. I have one for every hive and every nuc which I own. However, for just feeding syrup, I often use an inverted pickle jar with holes in the lids, placed over an inner cover with a large hole drilled in it. Or, a regular inner cover with a small hole. Topped off with an empty hive body.

Right now I am feeding some nucs with plastic inner frame feeders. I cut a wooden float, about the size of an entrance reducer but almost the length of the feeder, and put one in each of the feeders. I have been watching them very carefully as I am not a huge fan of frame feeders, but have yet to see a dead bee in any of them.

Bought a gallon poultry waterers for $7. Put a ring of .5" HW cloth in trough for the bees to climb on. Above an inner cover with mediums and a couple shims ('cause I ran out of deeps). Works slick as all get out.

Not as cheap as a mason jar but thoroughly impressed with these. https://glorybee.com/beekeeping/feed...ive-top-feeder
    ran them on 10 hives for 3 weeks now and zero dead bees. holds about 2 gallons.
    Terrence - 2 full years....still a newb

The chimney style design eliminates drowning: http://innisfilcreekhoney.com/produc...-chimney-style

2:1 syrup also helps reduce drowning. And based on RO's article in this months ABJ, heavier syrup is the way to go - unless you like hauling buckets
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I tried a bunch of designs and now use mason jars covered with a deep. No robbing or cutting holes in my covers and not one bee has drowned.

Made my own fatbeeman style feeders. So far really happy with them. The nucs can take almost 2 liters a day with them. What I like is the ease of refilling, and how many bees are feeding at once. Am getting my newest nucs up to weight now after giving them some extracted comb. As it cools down I'll be able to see how useful they remain.

I have made my own, basically the same as Cleo's, except I put holes for more than one jar. Some with two, either on the same end or one at each end. Then I cut a square hole in the center of the plywood about 4" X 8". Cover one side of the holes with #8 wire stapled and hot glued around the edges. Cut 9/16 plywood same size of hive body. Remove top and inner cover from hive. put feeder on and then empty deep hive body and hive top. Jars are inside empty hive body and all closed in, no freezing and warmth of hive keeps sugar water warm. Square hole in center I use to put 1/2 to 1/3 of a pollen patty onto it and mash down into wire. You then can change jars or patty without any more effort than just lifting the top and then closing it back. No bees, no mess and under one minute to change.

European Rapid Feeders work good for NUC feeding - Just place over inner cover hole. - Hold 1/2 gallon. Cost is just over $9 each if bought 6 at a time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140967560649

PAHunter62

Quote Originally Posted by PAHunter62 View Post
    European Rapid Feeders work good for NUC feeding - Just place over inner cover hole. - Hold 1/2 gallon. Cost is just over $9 each if bought 6 at a time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140967560649

PAHunter62
    What are the dimensions? Will it fit in nuc box? What was shopping for six?

Good question Kaizen - I make my own custom 6 frame medium NUC boxes - they fit in them fine. I don't run any standard 5 frame NUCs - sorry for the confusion. The dimensions are 8.5 inches across and 3.5 inches high. Shipping to SE PA was $7.87. There is a smaller size too ...

Here is a mini that is 8 inches wide, but still too small for a standard 5 frame NUC if inside dimension is 7.5 inches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beekeeping-s...IAAOSwxH1T2m~6
    PAHunter62
    Zone 6b: 11 Hives, 17 NUCs, 10 swarms captured 2014

Quote Originally Posted by PAHunter62 View Post
    Good question Kaizen - I make my own custom 6 frame medium NUC boxes - they fit in them fine. I don't run any standard 5 frame NUCs - sorry for the confusion. The dimensions are 8.5 inches across and 3.5 inches high. Shipping to SE PA was $7.87. There is a smaller size too ...

Here is a mini that is 8 inches wide, but still too small for a standard 5 frame NUC if inside dimension is 7.5 inches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beekeeping-s...IAAOSwxH1T2m~6
    Thanks. I love these feeders so much I am considering using two gallon ones over a migratory cover. The lid fits well so besides ants I don't see much issue. It's rugged enough to be over the side and inch or so

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast