Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: My Systemic Allergic Reaction Experience

Luterra
    Many thanks for links - it is very useful! Article is really good. Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by joan View Post
    Yes, 1/2 bottle. It is liquid and is absorbed more quickly than tablets. As another poster mentioned, this is a major histamine release reaction, and Benadryl/diphenhydramine is a safe and easily obtained ANTI histamine.
    Hi, What about the "non drowsy" types of anti-histamine medication, are they just as effective? For example I have some cetirizine hydrochloride tabs. And in terms of benadryl, is there just one type or is it like toothpaste where there are 101 varieties?

I got a bit of a reaction to a sting a few days ago, not serious, but more than usual, so now I am reading all the 'reaction' threads....

Rob

I found out over the last weekend that I was allergic to the bee venom, since I ended up in the ER again from a single bee sting. When I saw the allergist, he explained that I didn't react to the sting three days after my first reaction because I didn't have any histamines left after the initial reaction. Sunday I was helping with a cutout and the person pulling out the comb from the ceiling of a garage accidentally dropped a piece of comb on my neck with a bee under it. I got stung with very little venom, I think. About 1/2 hour later I started having symptoms. I took a couple of benedryl and went to the ER. I didn't use the Epi-Pen.

Ted

Stories like these are why I always suit up, always wear gloves and always light the smoker when I'm going to open up the bees. It does get hot, and I do feel like it is usually overkill, but I just make a habit of it. I know the OP had a suit on when stung, but I figure - better to slow them down than to go without protection, because sometimes, they just get nasty.

Adam

Ted, I also find that stings on the neck or head really make me feel woozy, something that does not happen with hand or body stings. Good on you for having the Benadryl handy. I have two bottles on my list for shopping today and will get an EpiPen next time I am in to the doc. I am not allergic, but I feel better being prepared for the maybe's!

"What about the "non drowsy" types of anti-histamine medication, are they just as effective? For example I have some cetirizine hydrochloride tabs."

I am currently on bee venom maintance shots. The allergist REQUIRES that we either take Claritin or Zyrtec 1hr before getting shots.

The advantage to Liquid benedryl ( or generics ) is that it acts in about 5 minutes instead of an hour.

Be careful. I just found out that my bee allergy is serious and due to having asthma my allergic reaction is a double whammy. A systemic reaction and an asthma attack. So, those who get reactions from stings, an epi pen...think heavy on it

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
    Smoker: I usually don't use one unless I have to, which is seldom. I didn't have one going at the time.
    Based on your reaction I would say that you should use a smoker, everytime. How do you figure out ahead of time whether you will need it or not? After you take multiple stings? It may be too late next time.

Glad you made it through OK.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3