Hybrid View

Default Trap-out or inside cut-out? Will the hive/honey remains leave bad smells?

Hello everyone.

Someone responded to an ad I have running locally for bee removal and I thought I'd run
    some of these options by some of you.

I told the guy over the phone that I could either trap them out or do a cut-out. I told him that the upside to a trap-out would be that no damage would occur to either his inner or outer wall. I told him a trap-out could possibly take several weeks. He was fine with that. I also told him a cut-out would have to be a several hundred dollar charge. He was fine with that if he decides to go that route.

Here's the bottom line: He would like for me to do a trap-out only IF it doesn't leave an obvious smell weeks/months/years after the fact.

What are some of your experiences out there with doing trap-outs and having to deal with smells? Is it really a problem?

Here are the photos:

Default Re: Trap-out or inside cut-out? Will the hive/honey remains leave bad smells?

Patbeek, I do extractions all the time and tend to prefer the trapping methods. But, it is not without a set of potential risks and problems, and you do potentially expose yourself to some liability. Your location in AHB territory is one of them. Secondary entrances should be one of your concerns as well as the the possibility that trapping them on the outside will lead to pursuit of entrance/egress from the interior side. I recommend that you read up on some of the details of what you are getting into, The one below is from a Clemson extension office, but I'd imagine that a Florida University would have info more unique to your situation: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/bee...tructures.html

Good luck,
    George
    Last edited by gkervitsky; 07-28-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Default Re: Trap-out or inside cut-out? Will the hive/honey remains leave bad smells?

Are you getting paid for the trapout? Many times, most beekeepers after a trapout, move the trapped bees to a different location and after all the bees are gone (all brood has hatched out), you bring another hive in and set so they can rob out the honey. That then just leaves empty comb which should not smell. One robbed out, you plug all the holes so a new colony can't move in next Spring.

Yes, that sounds great. I will bring an additional hive and let them rob.

How does that work, though? How do you make the other hive go in and rob it? Do you have to douse honey all over the outside as bait?

Regarding liability, how on earth did the Oregon Trail ever happen?

I'm not downplaying the risks and liability involved. I just can't worry about every last threat that could possibly happen on the planet.

However, I WILL make sure there's no way they'll try to pile in the building through an alternate route inside. I appreciate the tips.

Not sure about the OR trail, just looking to make sure your prepared as it appears to be something new. For example, it appears that the entrance is near a phone or cable box. If wires pass from exterior to interior at that point, the bees have a penetration on the inside in which to possibly escape. I have had bees exit chandeliers 25-30 feet from an extraction point, as well as exiting bathroom vents. Bees are amazingly resourceful; never underestimate them. Depending how long they are in place, the resources on the inside, and the whether alternate entrances are revealed, the minimum extraction can exceed more than a few weeks.

gkervitsky,

I was just giving you a hard time.

I absolutely appreciate and agree with everything you are saying and have taken note of it.

Any morsel of advice I can get will be much appreciated.

The amount of darkening on the wall behind the box indicates two things.
    1. That hive has been there a while and
    2. It is going to be a rather large one.

Myself, I would do a cut out from the inside. Getting paid for taking bees to add to your apiary sounds like a good deal to me!

A trap out will take several weeks and brood will continue to hatch. No to mention the smells and possible infestation of ants and other insects.