Hybrid View

Default Crush and strain honey comb !

7/27/12

Just got finished crushing and straining 2 Warre hive boxs. I took some pics of my home made equipment. Plastic 5gal pails and a 5gal paint strainer bag, plus pail lids. An oak board to crush and a potato masher to mash. Bread knife to cut comb loose from top bars in boxs. A large bowl to crush comb in, lots of news paper, because its a messy business.
    Lay out paper on work table, stack buckets and lids, wet paint strainer and sling excess water out. Put strainer in top bucket with no bottom and put lid on with opening to dump thru. Cut comb out of boxs and crush in bowl, when comb is throughly crushed, pour in to strainer. Repeat process until all comb is crushed and poured in to strainer bucket. Then clean all honey mess up and pour it in to strainer bucket too. Once all is cleaned up on table, take boxs and bars and utensils to bee yard for bees to clean for you. Let honey set for 2 or 3 days for all to strain out of wax. And for honey to settle out air and clear up. Then bottle it and see how many Friends you have.
    Heres a link to some pics of my equipment and the process.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11158...CID-tMH8idjbBw
    Last edited by chaindrivecharlie; 07-28-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson "To map out a course of action and follow it to the end requires courage". John 3;17

Default Re: Crush and strain honey comb !

Your link doesnt work
    Meadmaking with WVMJ at Meads and Elderberry Winemaking

I noticed that if you highlight what he has above and then backspace back to photos you can then click on that and look at all his photos. Fact is if you put you pointer on some of the pictures it then lets you look at several in that group, I have never seen that before.

Went back in and edited the link, should work now.
    Charlie
    Ralph Waldo Emerson "To map out a course of action and follow it to the end requires courage". John 3;17

thanks for the tutorial, now I know what to look forward to. is the snaky looking comb normal for your bees? I love to look at the artwork of the bee.

@Pelz _ With the warre yes, unless you can get them to build straight with the bars. I dont worry about it myself, I let them build as they please. And yes I like to look at their artwork too! If you look you can see the queen cells left from the swarm in the one box. That box was the bottom and only about 3/4ths full of honey.