Thread: Is it usable?

Default Is it usable?

In the throes of extraction, a small amount of unripe honey was left in a bucket with comb and was forgotten for 5 or 6 days, at approx. 70-90 F. However, there were five or six dead bees in there too. Can I still use this for mead making? It's the dead bees bit that has me concerned. Will pot. metabisulphite take care of anything that may come along with decomposition (plus the microbial "powers" honey)? or is it too dicey? (There doesnt seem to be a nasty smell)

Default Re: Is it usable?

Honey is antibacterial and antimicrobial and your dead bees are nicely preserved now, thankyou. Just add water and mildly heat it till the wax floats to the top and the Specific gravity is what you want for the recipe you have. If you don't have a hydrometer buy one they are cheap. If you don't have a recipe, I recommend Lavlin 71B-1122 dry yeast and an Original gravity of anything below 1.140 down to 1.1 It should go down to 1 and be a 14% alcoholic drink that will be ready to drink in four months. After three weeks in a brewspace between about 65 degrees or more up to 80 (but should be same day and night0 Siphon off the good stuff off the dead yeast and any fruit or spices you added and any dead bees and wax left in for character. Maybe your brand will have a bee in the bottom instead of a worm but I would add a fresh one back in before bottling.

Thanks !!
    I guess I underestimated the antimicro/bact abilities. Good to know.

Maybe your brand will have a bee in the bottom instead of a worm but I would add a fresh one back in before bottling.

That's funny - I may just take that advice

Vance, I think your bee in the bottom idea is great.

If it came apart that would be ugly! I was just trying to be funny. You know, half a wit!

Agree 100%! The honey is perefectly fine and have 2 batches of mead going right now from left over garage honey.