Default How to move a very hot Hive

I have acquired a hive from an old bee keeper, he hasen't touched it in years, the bottom box is not in very good condition, and when i went there last evening to try to move it, there are so many bees they cant all get into the hive, the front is covered in bees, also got stung 3 times they are very hot and I'm just not sure how to calm them down so i can get them sealed up to move them, i was thinking about spraying them with sugar water? Please give me some ideas, i would really like to get this hive moved home...

Default Re: How to move a very hot Hive

The bees almost certainly can fit into the hive. They are probably bearding on the hive because its hot weather.

Image linked from: http://www.personal.psu.edu/jad52/bl.../bearding.html
    Try visiting the hive very early in the morning, just before sunrise. They may have all moved inside at that point.

No offense, but as this is your first post, and you haven't given us any other information, do you have a smoker and, at a minimum, a veil?
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Do you have new equipment to put them into? If so, perhaps you could replace the hive in it present location giving them more room. Do this during the warm part of the day when there are less bees in the hive and they may be easier to work with. Later in the day, when all the foragers are back in the hive, close them up with screen and you should be able to move them.

Good luck with your hive!
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Ok, i was just thinking about taking another deep with frames and adding it then wait a couple days then move them

Keep in mind, bearding is not always a spatial issue, it's hive temperature regulation. Adding a box may help as it aids in temp regulation but if the hive has poor ventilation in general, you will still have a pile of bees outside. Smoking them typically will cause them to move inside. If the move is going to take awhile, be sure the hive has proper ventilation once you seal off the entrance. Good luck moving the bees.

How far do you have to move it? I have a friend that has a hive just like you described this one. He did not take care of it and it was 3 deep boxes that was full of bees and they were very hot. I just moved it a short distance to clean it out for him but the bees that were coming and going that day came back and settled on the ground in a cluster where the old hive sat. If it were me, I would suit good and tilt that whole hive so that I could slid two strong boards or whatever I had under the bottom board and have someone help me put the whole hive into the back of my truck and make sure it is strapped together good and seal the entrance and drive slowly home if its a short distance. If not a short distance I would take off the outer cover and seal the inner cover hole where they are fed sugar water with 1/8" wire and move them. I would leave a nuc box or medium one where the hive was sitting and come back the next morning or evening and get it. But one advantage of doing it at his place would be if it had shb badly you could avoid taking them to your place by replacing the boxes there at his place. Someone else will have to give their input on that.

Suit up and do it. You can either unstack and restack on the truck, or get someone else to suit up and help. You can move the bottom box to the top and deal with it later, or leave it on the stand to collect the stragglers and move them another day. The bees aren't going to be happy so forget about that. The heat of the summer during a drought always makes them cross.

The old bee keep talked me into just waiting until next spring to move them, there is also another swarm that moved inside the barn into a stack of old supers, i'll get both of them at that time, thanks for the help and advice, i can see why they are so irritated as dry as it is here! My hive that i have here is doing great, their bringing in the pollen as fast as they can...

I would check in early evening to see that they have plenty of room. Add a super with frames (with foundation if you like) if they need room, then wait till spring if you wish. Personally I would add a screened bottom board and make sure they have ventilation. Just saying...
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.