Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Perone Hive Plans Anyone?

26K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  GregB 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Im considering to build a Perone Hive but cant find any plans on the net. I have problems finding out how to build the roof. Does it have ventilation or quilt or not, etc...?

Thank you

#34 ·
SWIM plans to do some Perone hives, (thanks Mr. Perone) and I personally find them exceptionally exciting. I really would like to hear about folks who have had experience with them or continue to experiment with them. Or let's hear your thoughts on it even if you haven't any experience with them. I know no one here does anything illegal. :D

I definitely love the concept of an undisturbed bee space. - Now that's a different type of "bee space". - Though Perone was specific about bee space.... he liked the 9mm, which Cushman also spoke well of.

Here's a video of two guys opening the Perone. They have no supers or top boxes on it (apparently not, although perhaps they take them off before shooting footage each update? benefit of the doubt) Regardless, they are completely violating the whole principle / approach. But that's not the point. They are giving an opportunity to see, although that could be much better done with a window (which violates further the simplicity of the Perone hive anyways) . I want you guys to see how huge and fat and awesome this bee hive comb is. Look at the comb structure its just totally amazing. You can visually see how the bees are thriving and would be able to "handle" just about anything. This is their natural form:

This video shows some "inside look" of a Perone hive but, the camera person is moving as if they are a bee themselves. Its a bit sporadic filming, but the shots are cool and its intriguing:

Dropping free plan hives here, and opening up this discussion. (thanks Phil)

Folks at the very least I'd like to know why theres no further discussion on it since around a decade ago, because it seems super solid in many ways. A very cool approach.

#35 ·
if you like undisturbed bee space do not open them, still can do a lang for that.

the hive type is determined by and for the titillations of the keeper, the bees do not care nearly as much.

Bee gums do the same thing, or drill a hole in your wall, of your house, from the outside.
As inspections are "needed and a part of keeping" little to discuss. If you like the idea, make a box that you fancy and put it out for the bees. or a Skep.. or Gum...

GG

#36 ·
if you like undisturbed bee space do not open them, still can do a lang for that.
Indeed.
The idea is NOT of any particular hive blueprints.
The real idea is rather of the management style.
Dump the bees onto regular frame (your style), close them in, walk away.
Next year check on them, and if lucky, get your harvest share.
Nothing special of the Perone blueprints, UNLESS you after the woodworking project itself - then YES.

#37 ·
I humbly disagree with your advice Goose.

The top surface area where a comb can be attached in the largest common Langstroth (10 frame deep) is 272 square inches.

The surface area where comb attaches in a Perone style hive is 503 square inches.

That’s a vast difference of almost double the area…

The volume of a 10 frame deep Lang is 2,608 cu inches per box.

Perone’s undisturbed brood box measures in at 11,300 cubic inches.

Therefore, you would need to stack minimum (5) 10 frame deep Langs to match the volume of the Perone undisturbed brood box, yet you would never achieve the surface area where the comb attaches by stacking Langs.

On a practical note the Perone, it certainly will sit a lot shorter. Your undisturbed lang brood boxes will be 4’ tall, where as Perone’s brood box will be 2’ tall. Obviously when you start talking about supers the Lang just becomes impractical the way you are suggesting it. At least for those of us who don’t love hauling around heavy boxes that are up high.

Sure you can do skeps or gums, but no gum is going to match the ease and weight of a Perone stackable box. You might find a massive log and hollow it to work but that will be super difficult to find, move and carve out. Anyone can slap together some wood into square boxes. Probably even a grandma.

I doubt skeps could hold a comb as large as I’ve seen on a Perone before it collapses. The ease of a laymen’s ability to build a Perone hive is fast and remarkable. I give this guy great credit and I will defend the working concept against at least just writing it off as I'm sensing.

And I know in his 30 something plus years of beekeeping, Perone’s learned a few things. He started with Langstroth and eventually developed this concept after many iterations (as is the way developing new ideas goes).

#38 ·
I humbly disagree with your advice Goose.

The top surface area where a comb can be attached in the largest common Langstroth (10 frame deep) is 272 square inches.

The surface area where comb attaches in a Perone style hive is 503 square inches.

That’s a vast difference of almost double the area…

The volume of a 10 frame deep Lang is 2,608 cu inches per box.

Perone’s undisturbed brood box measures in at 11,300 cubic inches.

Therefore, you would need to stack minimum (5) 10 frame deep Langs to match the volume of the Perone undisturbed brood box, yet you would never achieve the surface area where the comb attaches by stacking Langs.

On a practical note the Perone, it certainly will sit a lot shorter. Your undisturbed lang brood boxes will be 4’ tall, where as Perone’s brood box will be 2’ tall. Obviously when you start talking about supers the Lang just becomes impractical the way you are suggesting it. At least for those of us who don’t love hauling around heavy boxes that are up high.

Sure you can do skeps or gums, but no gum is going to match the ease and weight of a Perone stackable box. You might find a massive log and hollow it to work but that will be super difficult to find, move and carve out. Anyone can slap together some wood into square boxes. Probably even a grandma.

I doubt skeps could hold a comb as large as I’ve seen on a Perone before it collapses. The ease of a laymen’s ability to build a Perone hive is fast and remarkable. I give this guy great credit and I will defend the working concept against at least just writing it off as I'm sensing.

And I know in his 30 something plus years of beekeeping, Perone’s learned a few things. He started with Langstroth and eventually developed this concept after many iterations (as is the way developing new ideas goes).
Good reply
use what you feel is best.
not writing it off, just for me it is not practical, for you may be a match.

BTW in the cold many papers from Russia from the 1800s and early 1900s to observe the need for deep VRS shallow.

from your profile not sure where your hive are, but here I still have 2 feet of snow

And yes several of my hives are 4 foot tall, nice ones too. 4 deeps split nicely into 4 10 frame splits in spring, for recovery of a poor winter.

Carry on
do comment on the production and survival, if this is the next best thing then several folks may migrate that way.

looking forward to your postings later in the year.

GG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.