Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perone Hive Plans Anyone?

Hi all,

Im considering to build a Perone Hive but cant find any plans on the net. I have problems finding out how to build the roof. Does it have ventilation or quilt or not, etc...?

Thank you

Default Re: Perone Hive Plans Anyone?

From what I see they are able to be built or "assembled" on top of a regular lang hive or warre.
    If you were going to build one from scratch I would consider making the topbars from your TBH fit the new hive to facilitate transfers between the two.
    The few I saw did not mention a quilt but a regular looking top cover.

There will be no transfers between hives in my Apiary. All "transfers" will be done by catching prime swarms and placing them into an empty hive.
    No more splits for me, no Queen cell destroying, no more comb manipulating, other than taking some honey at the end of the season, propolis, honey comb wax and some pollen (if the year is good).
    The brood box is opened only if the colony dies for clean up otherwise only a stubborn inspector can make me open it for inspection.

But i will keep the same size top bars to match the nuke box for the prime swarms to be sold. And in case they arent sold i can simply start a new hive

So the Perone you'v seen have solid roof without any ventilation at all?

youtube 'automatic beehive' and there's a nice vid on putting a hive together.

Remember the Perone hive is designed for Aficanized bees that swarm often. It is also designed for tropical climates.
    Last edited by camero7; 07-28-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling

At camero7,
    Kenya Top Bar Hive is also designed for hot climates yet works like a charm i cold ones too ask Dennis Murrell and Michael Bush.

Kind regards, Che

I tried TBH and long hives. Couldn't get them through the winters up here. Good luck.

@ Che, are you planing to build 1 just for a trial in Sweden. If you are, keep in touch with me, for your weather is similar to mine. And I am always interested in a better way to keep bees. I have known and kepted up with Oscar since 2008. I see now He is also placing some in the mountains of Chile. I may build one this winter to try next spring with a package.
    Best Regards:
    Charlie
    Ralph Waldo Emerson "To map out a course of action and follow it to the end requires courage". John 3;17

Hi Charlie,
    There is a huge chance my wife and I moving to an organic farm in Denmark February next year which means the Perone Hives will be started there on my proper PermApiary.
    Still a damp, cloudy, windy, cold climate it will be like in the South of Sweden.
    Sure will blog about it on my blog (subscribe for updates).
    Regards

Never heard of the perone hive before. Seems to contradict Warre's beliefs that a small cavity is better for the bees

Also from a wood working perspective, making a box that large, strong, flat and square will be tough. Probably need a decent wood. Your standard (crap) pine from Lowes will never get it. Though I think the really deep soffits (roof edge) is a great idea.

In the video, it looks like that the box made cheaply. Since,it never moved, it should not be very strong. It is basically a "cubicle" with the slotted lid. Slots imitated the frames. They put on top the smaller (shorter) boxes for honey, equivalent to Lang's supers. Once "super" is full, it is removed as a whole and extracted using crush-and-strain. Initially, Perone used 3 Lang's mediums attached together (cube) as a nest chamber with foundationless frames on the top. The Perone's second generation model is just a huge box without movable frames. Very interesting design. Sergey
    http://beehivejournal.blogspot.com/2...rone-hive.html
    Last edited by cerezha; 08-27-2012 at 07:27 PM.

"Please watch these videos on my new
    English site.

http://peronehive.com/?page_id=19

Best Regards.

Oscar Perone

En este momento en Santa Eulalia de Oscos, Asturias, España
    Teléfono fijo: 985626431
    Desde el extranjero:
    00 34 985626431
    Sitios web:
    http://www.permapicultura.com
    http://www.permapicultura.es/
    oscarperone@gmail.com"

Oscar
    Many thanks for your efforts. I think, your idea is great! It is interesting - I actually, re-designed my Lang hive in the direction similar to yours. I was not bold enough to put 3 mediums together for the nest, but, it is basically a one unit. I also do not use classical frames - I have top bars instead. Top bars created sort of "lid" very similar to your slotted lid. I made my cahnges before I learned about your hive. I was pleased to know that this approach works very well in your hands. Hopefully, it would work for me also. Good luck with your mission! I love Spain: Gaudi, Barcelona, Dali, Goya... Sergey

Here is a PDF file with plans in cse you haven't found them yet...
    :-)
    Lesley

http://peronehive.com/wp-content/upl...erone-Hive.pdf

Dam! I though I had tried every different type of hive, but suddenly I feel the need to switch to Perone hives. My bees are eventually going to get tired of my indecision.

> I though I had tried every different type of hive, but suddenly I feel the need to switch to Perone hives.

Bees are happy in any cavity that is within certain size variance (and it's a lot of variance) and opening variance. I've found healthy productive colonies in the dry gas tanks of old cars, soffits, old abandoned water heaters, floor joists, 2 x 4 walls etc. I wouldn't change hives for the bees. They won't care. I would only change them for your convenience.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    > I though I had tried every different type of hive, but suddenly I feel the need to switch to Perone hives.

Bees are happy in any cavity that is within certain size variance (and it's a lot of variance) and opening variance. I've found healthy productive colonies in the dry gas tanks of old cars, soffits, old abandoned water heaters, floor joists, 2 x 4 walls etc. I wouldn't change hives for the bees. They won't care. I would only change them for your convenience.
    I'm just beginning and my daughter had bought me a starter kit with a Langstroth without knowing that I had the plans for a Perone and have someone giving me a top bar. I took a class at the University of AZ and two of the beekeeprs are setting up in my yard. We'll be able to run an experiment for the next couple of years to see what the differences are. I'm very happy to be part of the group and spending a whole lot of time on YouTube watching all I can find. Thanks for the input Michael! I visit your web page ALL the time.