Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Perone Hive Plans Anyone?

>We'll be able to run an experiment for the next couple of years to see what the differences are.

Just keep in mind, when you set up two or three hives and treat them identically, they do differently. The differences from one colony to the next will make a bigger difference than from one piece of equipment to the next...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

When my Warre was threatening to swarm, I knew I didn't want any more hives so I asked around to see if anyone wanted it. Being a prime swarm, I wanted to make sure the person appreciated it. Vernon said he wanted a swarm and he had built a Perone. That's great...here's a new beekeeper who has built his own hive "for the bees, not the beekeeper." We gave him our bucket of bees and he gave us his detailed pictures of his newly built Perone. They can be seen here...
    http://solarbeez.com/2013/05/23/vernons-perone-hive/
    For a person who only recently learned how to take photos, transfer them to the computer, and email them, I'm appreciating what he has done as much as he's appreciating the swarm I gave him.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarbeez View Post
    ... Vernon said he wanted a swarm and he had built a Perone. ...
    Nice pictures, many thanks for sharing. Excuse my ignorance but what is the distance center-to-center between brood bars? I understood that 9 mm space is important. Please, keep us posted - I am really interested to see how it will go. And pictures!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Nice pictures, many thanks for sharing. Excuse my ignorance but what is the distance center-to-center between brood bars? I understood that 9 mm space is important. Please, keep us posted - I am really interested to see how it will go. And pictures!
    The bars are 24 mm and the space between them is 9 mm, so the center-to-center measurement is 33 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Strength View Post
    The bars are 24 mm and the space between them is 9 mm, so the center-to-center measurement is 33 mm.
    Oooo
    Thank you so much! Keep us posted with pictures!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Saint-Denis de La Réunion (France Indian Ocean)

Last edited by DocBB; 12-21-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Am I missing something, but it appears that this is similar to a skep, where the comb is permanently attached to cross bracing sticks. You just have the honey/comb boxes added to the top.

It appears that the brood nest is not "inspect able", if so anyone in the US be careful with this hive style. Most of the states require that you can remove the brood comb for inspection.

I'd check the local regs before you build and have to remove this style hive... It is a neat idea though..
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

I watched one of the videos where after a few months they could no longer open the brood chamber due to comb breakage. I am closing down the giant hives I built in 2007. Didn't work for me and mine had frames. The frame hive is a brilliant invention. You can work all combs and process them in a neat and clean manner. Size does matter......

I'm almost sure the OP Che already has found a Perone Hive Plan, but for every one who's still looking: here it is... (pdf download)
    http://www.biobees.com/library/hive_...erone-Hive.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    It appears that the brood nest is not "inspect able" ..
    Perone hive is not designed for inspections - it's designed to leave it alone and come from time to time to collect honey-supers. Practically no maintenance required

In his early design, Perone used standard Lang's boxes attached to each other to create a "nest volume". He drifted away from Lang once he eliminated frames - than dimensions are not important. In my design, I am using a hybrid approach inspired by Rose, Warre and Perone. I am using Lang's dimension boxes and top bars (instead frames). Top Bars are easy to move. Since, I am not so experienced beekeeper, I prefer do not interfere much in the nest. So, nest is on their own most of the time (I do necessary inspections). I am just managing honey part (chekerboarding mainly). My personal impression is that bees love large combs in the nest. In Russia and Ukraine large frames are very popular. In fact, so called "Ukrainian beehive" has gigantic frames (horizontal design, like a chest with lid). It seems to me that large continuous nest area is beneficial to bees and they are doing well in such beehives (not necessary convenient to the beekeeper). Mine bees were never treated with anything but love for 4 years for now.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12