Default Fall Flow Indicators in Mid TN

What are some good indicators that the Fall flow is approaching in middle Tennessee (Nashville/Hendersonville)? I've been feeding with supers on so they'll draw comb, but I'm sure I'll end up with some sugar syrup stored as well. My plan is to stop feeding and extract the sugar syrup just before the Fall flow arrives, then put the supers back on to collect nectar only. At the end of Fall I'll extract again, then put the supers back on and start feeding again to fill the supers for Winter. Is this a sound plan?

Thanks,
    Pete

Default Re: Fall Flow Indicators in Mid TN

Put the supers on again for winter? Why to give the mice a warm place? The lower brood boxes are for the bees they should be full put the empty supers in garage wrapped in plastic with some wax moth crystals until a few weeks before the spring flow the air them out and put them back on...

Pete, watch what is flowering in your area and you should be able to see what will be blooming next, and watch the landing boards of your hives during a flow the bees will often fly straight into the entrance opening instead of walking in from the outer edge and when loaded with nectar they will come in with their legs held forward to counterbalance the weight of the nectar in their honey stomach, an increase of pollen is a good indicator as well. Your plan sounds like a good one to me and as for storing your supers on top of the brood boxes for the winter, there are a number of people who do this successfully, just make sure you have a mouse guard in place when winter comes. I look forward to future posts to see your success stories.....Bill

www the way I read it he isn’t storing the supers he’s letting them fill them again for winter. Good plan keep an eye on SHB they love empty wet supers
    Im really not that serious

Bill, thanks for the tips on what to watch for. I'm wondering if there's a particular bloom to look out for, such as dandelion blooming before the Spring flow. And mac's right, I'm planning on keeping a super full of sugar syrup on each hive for winter feed instead of just storing them empty...that's how I overwintered them last year (double deeps with a med super of sugar syrup). Again, I appreciate your input and will certainly post any successes I have.

Pete

The last 2 years, goldenrod bloomed around the middle of September. That's an easy to see indicator. Last years fall flow was a bust for me, but the previous year was very productive.

In central IL i dont consider the fall flow to have started untill a week perhaps 2 before the goldenrod blooms.

I have a large area of it, about an acre right next to me and it is barly showing buds here in the end of july. Id say we are at least a good month or more away here in IL.

With the drought we have been having i dont expect much for flow although pollen should be good.

Pete and Mac, thanks for setting me straight on the supers, somehow that one slipped by me, I wish you all a successful wintering of your hives. My six hives are in double deeps and have about five or six more frames each to draw and fill so I will keep pouring the 1:1 syrup to them for at least four more weeks and then they should be ready for winter. I have had the one hive for a number of years and then decided to split and expand to six this spring but it turned out to be a poor year for expanding ones bee yard, I have been feeding since May, however my hives should be ready for a successful launch this coming spring....Take care.....Bill

Given that in the past 3 - 4 weeks we've gotten 6 - 8 inches of rain, I'm thinking we might have a great fall flow in Middle TN and southern KY. Now is the time the flower buds should be forming for fall flowers. With a little luck and occasional rains, we might just be in luck!

I'm seeing a few scattered goldenrod blooms right now. Very early, but the weather has been consistently odd this year. We just finished a fair flow of devils walking stick. Last year there was Nothing in july or august and very little after that.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b