Thread: Storing honey.

Default Storing honey.

Bees are awesome!!! I have tried to give away bottles of honey being my first year, but people insist on giving me money for it. I LOVE it!!! I am at the point where I am having to store a few gallons. I have been keeping the honey in new, clean, plastic 5 gallon buckets purchased from the local Farm and Fleet. I will then transfer the honey into my bottling bucket to allow the bubbles to rise and then fill my containers. I am wondering is it okay to store the honey in these "regular" buckets or do they need to be specifically "bee store" purchased? I was told the buckets should be food safe. The recycle number is a "2" on the bottom of both the bottling bucket and the ones I am currently storing the honey in, does that mean that they are both food safe? How do you store your honey? Thanks, juzzerbee.

Default Re: Storing honey.

The recycle number has nothing to do with food grade. many buckets are sold as food grade, but that is no guarantee of the ones you have. The supplier should be able to easily tell you if the pails are intended for food or not.

I get food-grade pails free from a local bakery. The frosting they use for cakes and doughnuts comes in 4 and 5 gallon pails.

Lowe's sells food grade buckets. (the ones I got were white)
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

NEVER buy them! Just stop at your local Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. and ask the people in the bakery section. They toss out hundreds every month and are happy to save them for you. A jar of honey doesn't hurt either.

Yes yes yes! Great thinking! I did that a few years ago but completely forgot that Wal Mart gives them away. I am a happy little boy. I love free!!!! Thanks, juzzerbee