Default Looking for a mentor (central Missouri)

I'm on my third year of beekeeping and still don't feel like I have a firm grasp on what I'm doing. I haven't successfully overwintered a hive, I haven't extracted any honey, and I don't feel like I really know what I'm doing when I look at my hives. I second-guess myself constantly. I do belong to a local beekeeping club, but it seems like something always happens and it's hard to get to the monthly meetings regularly. I have a really hard time applying what I learn from the meetings and reading articles to my own hives. I'd really like to find someone in my area- I'm near Ashland, MO- to come and look at my hives with me once a month or so and give me some expert guidance. Any takers? I'd be happy to pay you with a free meal or baked goodies!

Default Re: Looking for a mentor (central Missouri)

Oh my baked goodies yum , well I need to see a request in my neck of the woods like this one. Baked goodies always get my attention.
    I do wish you luck, and your dedication is obvious, and I know you will reach the level of confidence and success you are seeking. Listen to the bees , watch and they will show you the way. Sometimes all the reading, all the advice , all the clutter will cause information overload. After 3 yrs. and you haven't given up yet, You have learned more than I bet you realize. Hang in there, your mentor will appear soon.
    Baked goodies

It always helps me to watch someone inspect their hive or do whatever it is that I need to do. There are many good videos on utube to help a novice like me. They may help and here is one to start with and notice that just above the picture it shows this person has over 140 videos, a lot of them on bees that you can watch if you please, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN5cuobeM08. Also, this site here has free bee lessons and some videos and this is David Burns who is well known in bee keeping circles. http://www.honeybeesonline.com/lessons.html

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out your site G'ville. I've watched some Youtube videos and they do help some, but I sure would like to be able to ask questions while someone looks at my own hives.

The Eastern Missouri Beekeeping Association is having a hive inspection workshop this Saturday (July 28th) in St. Louis. I am not a member (yet) so I don't have any more specifics and I know it would be a drive for you but might be worth it to learn. I know it isn't the same as going through your own hives. Just trying to give you options! You can check out their newsletter on their website, just Google the name.