Default Leaking honey gate

I just extracted 1 super and was letting the honey sit in the bottling bucket for a few days to let air bubbles come out of honey.
    I bought the bottling bucket with 1 1/2" honey gate from Mann Lake last season.
    It is leaking at the gate and at where it mounts to the bucket. I tried tightening the gate with the screw but it still leaks.
    I called them and they said the bucket is not for storage and leaking is not unusual.
    Does that sound right?

I have not seen this issue with a Dadant honey gate.

Default Re: Leaking honey gate

I have three buckets with gates and none of them leak. Except one old one that has a crack in the bucket next to the gate. It leaks very very slowly but I don't store honey in it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by beedeetee View Post
    I have three buckets with gates and none of them leak. Except one old one that has a crack in the bucket next to the gate. It leaks very very slowly but I don't store honey in it anymore.
    What brand are your gates if I may ask?

One is yellow and two are white. I've had them for 5-15 years, so I don't remember where I got them. I can look tonight and see if there is any brand names on them. The two white ones came on the buckets and the yellow one I bought and drilled a hole in a bucket and installed it myself.

a leaking gate is not acceptable.... and for them to tell you it's ok doesn't sound acceptable either. Why would you make a leaky honey gate?? It doesn't matter if the bucket isn't for storage either, shouldn't be leaking out with the gate closed. Who wants honey dribbling out of their equipment with a closed gate?? Makes no sense unless you like cleaning up messes.

Unfortunately, I just ordered another honey gate from Mann Lake. I will look to return it under their warranty. I think I'll order a Dadant gate.

Here is a pic of the gate (note leaking at bucket and on the gate):
    photo.jpg

It looks like you may be mis-describing the problem and getting wrong answers to the problem as a result. In the photo it appears that the leak is not in the honey gate but in the connection to the bucket. Tightening the thumbscrew would not solve this problem. The entire gate needs to be tightened to the bucket. To do this you will need to tighten the backing nut on the inside of the bucket. You may be able to rotate the honey gate clockwise a little to stop the leak if you don't want to empty the honey from the bucket first. But you risk breaking the gate. I would recommend emptying the bucket, completely remove the gate, clean everything then re-install the gate. Then fill with water to insure a liquidtight seal and gate. Empty the water out, completely dry and refill with honey.
    Last edited by jbeshearse; 07-26-2012 at 10:50 AM.

It may be that you just need to make sure the inside is screwed as tight as possible. Remember it is a round honey gate being attached to a round bucket and must be firmly applied to the bucket. There is a food grade silicone sealant that you can get in a small amount that you can use inside and outside. You say you are going to make another one so the cost per bucket would only be a couple of dollars each. Its not unusual to sometimes get a leak on a connection, but take your time and you may have to use the fg silicone to insure a tight seal. I am fixing to try to put one on my bucket. I have to get a hole bit first. What tool is used to put inside the male threaded part, it looks like one that I use to take a faucet part out of my shower might fit inside that shape?

Just so happens that ML is having a sale... http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...productInfo/3/
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

Get some aquarium sealant ( silicone seal ) from a large pet store. The bucket will need to be clean and dry before applying. I would put a layer on the outside and another ring on the inside before tightning the nut.

And yes, fish are more sensitive to toxins than humans. So aquarium sealant will be ok.

And last but not least, the bucket may be cracked. It isn't uncommon. Tightening the whole gate may only make matters worse. If tightening doesn't help,take it apart and look closely .
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Thanks for all the tips. Didn't want to create a 'honey gate' controversy.

After I bottle the honey, I will futz with the gate as recommended and see if it leaks.

I had the same leak on my bucket (it was a self installed gate). I did exactly what jbeshearse advised above. No more leak.

Once you turn the backing nut as far as possible, hold it in place a turn the gate a tiny bit, just to get a little extra tesnsion. Grip the whole gate, not just the cover.