Default Pollen patties can cause hive beetles??

I put a pollen patty in each of my hives yesterday for the first time this year. Patties were about 5"x5" in size. My neighbor suggested not to put large pieces in there because it can lure hive beetles. I am freaked out a little now. Should I go back in there and remove them?

Suggestions???

Thanks

Default Re: Pollen patties can cause hive beetles??

If they need it leave it, but watch closly !
    If you are doing it to Boost them
    I would watch even closer

]If they don't need it
    You have beetles working it, as I type

So I should remove it completely then?? If pollen patties cause that problem, why chance using them??? I was doing it to boost them, but I will just go with sugar water instead. Really trying to figure this out. Will remove them both today.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-26-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: UNQuote

Sugar water is just that sugar it is the carbohydrate in their diet to offer them a ballanced diet you need to have pollen patties or at least some protine source. if there is a flow on they need nothing. What is the goal you are trying to accomplish? maintence of hive numbers? growth? Splits? the objective should guide you as to the necessity of feeing or not but to just offer syrup and patties for no other reason than they are for sale is pointless.

SHB will be attracted by the bees' pollen, honey and the fanning that goes on, SHB will travel for miles and miles to find your hives. Adding a pollen patty won't necessarily "cause" SHB, but if the pollen patty is too large for the bees to consume in a few days, that patty will give the SHB even more space to lay their eggs.

If you choose to feed pollen patties, for whatever reason, give the hive a quarter portion (1/4th) of the pollen patty, right over the brood nest. The smaller the patty pieces, the quicker they will be consumed and the fewer chances of SHB larvae.

I used a pollen patty last year to build up a nuc and small hive and I gave them an entire pollen patty and when I checked the patty the next week <1/2 of it was gone and the remainder had some SHB larvae in it. Needless to say, I only give 1/4 of a patty now (if I have to give any at all) no matter the size of the hive.

Good luck, have fun.

Thanks for the replies. I am feeding them the patty because we went thru a small drought and they are 2 new hives I started on April 30. I am feeding them syrup because I read that as long as they are taking it in, they should be given it. They usually take a gallon each and have it gone within a couple days.

I think I will go out there today and remove the majority of that patty. I did have it in the brood box. Thank you so much for your replies.

I'm a new beek and observed this behavior about a month ago. I put an entire pattie on top of my frames, the bees loved it. however about a week or more later i noticed larvae living in the patty so i discarded the patty and squished the larvae. I may try feeding them patties again, but this time only place enough for a couple of days max like suburbanrancher said.

They don't cause beetles, but they're a good source of protein for beetle larvae and if you don't monitor the patty, it can become infested quickly. That's why putting a large patty on is kind of like rolling the dice because if the bees aren't using that much now you have this big chunk of food the beetles can infest. If your bees use it quick enough though, no problems. If you don't have beetles, don't worry about it.

It is recommended in areas where the SHB is a problem to either not use pollen parties or use small size patties that are consumed within 2 days. The other option is to make a sandwich with the patty between two pieces of wax paper. The paper prevents the SHB from access to the top and bottom of the patties. The bees remove the pollen from the exposed edge.

I do not use patties and would recommend open feeding dry pollen sub instead.