Default Wisconsin soybeans - honey

Has anyone ever made a honey crop on soybean in Wisconsin if its hot like it has been this year. I have noticed my bees are working it this year. Not sure if they will put up anything from it but I have not noticed them ever work it like they are now. I'm actually worried that it could be a neonic variety and would be better off not touching it!

Default Re: Wisconsin soybeans - honey

Perhaps you should tell them to stay away from them. (Just to be on the safe side)

Quote Originally Posted by WI-beek View Post
    Has anyone ever made a honey crop on soybean in Wisconsin if its hot like it has been this year. I have noticed my bees are working it this year. Not sure if they will put up anything from it but I have not noticed them ever work it like they are now. I'm actually worried that it could be a neonic variety and would be better off not touching it!
    I Think you should contact the farmer and see what info you can get from him/her. If you are refereeing to the Round Up Ready Soybeans, mine worked the field across the street. I did not see any unfavorable results. They are beginning to bloom now and I will be watching the suppers closely.

I do not know if soy seeds are treated, my guess is probably though. You could always ask the farmer....

They are working them hard this year. the small plants have allowed the bees to get to the flowers and the heat really makes them produce a good nectar flow.

Whats the consensus on Roundup Ready beans? Are they harmful to the bees or contaminate the honey?
    USDA Zone 5B

That is a good question and one that I hope someone other then Mansota (wrong spelling I know). I believe we are going to find out that there are dangers to our health and those of others that live on this planet from GMO and chemicals.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-26-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: UNQuote

Round up ready and neonic are two different things.

The Round-up Ready gene in soybeans has no effect on the nectar, since it's a gene for amino acid synthesis that is not inhibited by Roundup. Neo-nic seed treatment is another story, but again unlikely to be a huge issue, and there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

As far as honey goes, soybean honey is light in color and flavor, nice honey. If your bees are working the beans, likely they are making some honey. It appears that warm nights are required for the beans to make much nectar, and it's highly variable both buy cultivar of beans and weather.

Peter

We have had warm nights but now its dipping into the 60's like normal and 80's for highs instead of the 90's and 70's at night. I will welcome the flow if it produces. If they use treated seeds for aphids its a shame because in all the years they have had soybeans here I have seen them spray once for them. Now they have neo's so I dont know what to think about them, better so I dont have to worry about the spray or what. hopefully the neo wont be an issue if they use it. Aphids only get out of hand when it does not get hot and this year its been HOT so I should not have to worry about them needing to spray. Its years when it never get into the upper 80's often that you need to worry. At least thats been my experience.