Default Putting bees on cotton and soybeans

Can anyone tell me what they do with their bees when the farmer is spraying?

Default Re: Putting bees on cotton and soybeans

Either move them to a different location, or screen all of their entrances the night before, so they can't go out and get sprayed.

how do you know when they are going to spray?

you dont. Local farmers dont spray me. These guys with the coal mines they're selling or whatnot with the hundreds of thousands of acres come in with tall boys and spray whenever however bloom be... Anyways stay off cotton unless you have a relationship with the grower. I have bees on 2 sets of crops right now, and they're spraying at night, as well as me, and only spraying stuff with dry in times before daylight, like Thiodan (endosulfan) or asana xl (esfenvalerate). Actually it's ironic the little gardner stuff like Sevin/Carbaryl or permethrin are far more toxic to bees due to their long lasting/lingering toxicity. Then again endosulfan is nasty stuff for humans. I digress, you have good growers that will help you out and value your bees, and guys so big they dont really care. Overall, I have 80% of my local growers (by acreage) assisting in using best spray practices. They can't do it at night or its nasty stuff like say karate. I come in and move them, and rotate them back in. Stressful work, but it rarely comes to that.

I have a grower who will let me know when he's going to spray on soybeans and cotton. I'm wondering what I need to do when he tells me when and what he's going to spray. If at night do they need to be closed or moved (or only with certain chemicals?) If at day do I need to close no matter what they are spraying?

Best to ask him to spray later in the evening, not in the morning or during the day. Suggest to use a insecticide that has less residual days. Evening or night is the best because it takes about 8 hours for the spray to dry and not be picked up as easy. But I agree with everything Skinner Apiaries has said. I do not like when beekeepers slag grain farmers for their production practices. As Skinner Apiaries suggested, the best defence against pesticide kills is a strong grower relationship. It is infact their fields we collect on, and if they dont make money at growing that crop becasue of pests, then they do not grow the crop and we dont get the nectar
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com