Default Queenless in July

To all,

I am new to the beekeeping and TBH this year. Over the past two weeks, I have noticed a decline in activity and have diagnosed the loss of the queen:

1. No brood
    2. Very little honey
    3. Lots of drones
    4. Decreased activity
    5. Few and scattered drone cells
    6. No queen cells

I have gotten advice from several Langstrom hive experts on what to do.

A. Just let the hive naturally decline and try again in the spring
    B. Get a fertilized queen now and feed the bees lots and lots of syrup (about 100 lbs!); get rid of the laying worker by moving the hive and clearing out all the bees
    C. Find a nuc and try to install the new bees

I am willing to try any reasonable approach but have gotten advice from only beekeepers not into TBH.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Randy

Default Re: Queenless in July

I would say get the new queen in there asap. this way you can build some population before winter.
    However, the high drone ratio usually means a bad queen or a laying worker. Either one of these must be rectified before the hive will accept a new queen.
    anything you can do in a lang, you can do in a TBH just think of it as sideways. TBH rules are loosely applied. It is just a different shaped box.
    Unless you have big numbers you might not have enough bees when winter comes if no new bees are born.

If you have determined that you don't have a laying worker and still have a decent population of bees throw a queen in there if you want to save them.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Today, things have gotten worse. The number of bees has dwindled significantly over the past few days. I don't think that I will have enough bees to support a new queen.

What now?

Pack it in for the year?
    Try to get a package and feed like crazy?
    Other?

Thanks!

Randy

Randy: Mark it up as experience. Clean out your hive and put them away. Try to order a Nuc next spring,,maybe two would be beter. You could have maybe saved your hive if you would have had a good hive to take brood frames from.

why not make this a nuc instead of ordering one? Move the follower to create a nuc tbh, requeen and let them go see what happens. Afterall whats 20 bucks to give it a shot and some feed?