Thread: High mite count

Default High mite count

I did a OAV treatment last Sunday and pulled the bottom board today. At least 400-500 dead mites on the board.Will do another OAV Sunday. Temps are supposed to be around 50. Hive is active and lots of bees present. I am feeding sugar bricks and they are bringing in pollen. I hope I am not to late to save this hive. I treated in the fall with Apiguard as directed but seems with all the rain last fall there is a high amount of mites going around. Seems a lot of better beekeepers than me are loosing hives.

Default Re: High mite count

Quote Originally Posted by Muzkrat View Post
    I did a OAV treatment last Sunday and pulled the bottom board today. At least 400-500 dead mites on the board.Will do another OAV Sunday. Temps are supposed to be around 50. Hive is active and lots of bees present. I am feeding sugar bricks and they are bringing in pollen. I hope I am not to late to save this hive. I treated in the fall with Apiguard as directed but seems with all the rain last fall there is a high amount of mites going around. Seems a lot of better beekeepers than me are loosing hives.
    500 is not a huge number following the first OAV treatment. It should go down a lot following next weeks treatment. How long ago was your FALL treatment? It was either longer ago than I think or it wasn't very effective.
    I usually treat around thanksgiving. You didn't have huge numbers, and you've treated, so I think you will be fine. Hives starve, but you are putting bricks in, so they should prevent starvation.

Good Luck!
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives /10 Nucs/ 4th Year / T {OAV}

I did the Apiguard treatments after Thanksgiving. First 4 weeks in October. I was afraid I was to late but the weather was perfect. I will be treating with OAV in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzkrat View Post
    Seems a lot of better beekeepers than me are loosing hives.
    Most who don't treat or don't treat effectively (at the right time, with the proper medications) will lose hives....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver