Default comb building under the Mann lake top feeder. see pic

is this the result of a full brood boxes? (no room to expand)

i pulled the feeder and placed a un drawn framed honey super on the brood boxes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by adamant; 07-24-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Default Re: comb building under the Mann lake top feeder. see pic

Too much space under the feeder. Make a box that puts the bottom of the feeder within 3/8" of the top bars and the problem will go away once you scrape all that burr comb off.

Peter

How many frames are drawn out in the box below?

Clean it up and read what they are trying to tell you... I see an "S" and maybe a "Y".....

I would buy a vowel and add a super

I have a couple of those, and some hives just want to fill up that empty space with comb. Some hives do that even if they have room in the supers below, so what you are seeing does not necessarily mean you need to add a box. (But it could mean that.)

Some hives won't fill up the gap. I have no idea why some bees cooperate with those feeders and some don't.

I think you are supposed to use a cut down/shallower box, since even a shallow box results in violation of bee space with that type of feeder. However, it becomes a pretty expensive feeder when you have to buy or make a special box to go with it.

A trick I use is to lay a board or boards on the top of the frames in the top box to fill up the space somewhat and discourage them from building comb.

Even though this is an issue with the Mann Lake feeders, I do like them because you can fit a bunch of syrup in them and they are easy to fill. They really work great in fall if you have a hive that needs access to a bunch of syrup fast.

Also, looking at your picture, you appear to be putting that in a medium. If you have a shallow box, use that instead. If not, you would need to put multiple boards on top of the frames at the top to fill in the gap all the way across.

If anybody at Mann Lake is listening, please redesign those to fit in a standard medium or shallow box. If they fit in a medium, it would hold a whole bunch of syrup, which would be worth the extra expense.

You have too deep a box. You either have a flow or are over feeding.

Its helped me to put an inner cover under the mann lake feeder.
    Dan

I had this same problem, even caused the feeder to stick to the tops of the frames below!

I don't have pics handy but what I did was take some tempered masonite and cut it so it fit pretty tight inside the ID of the underside of the feeder. then I build a rim on one side from stock ripped from a 1x board and glued/stapled it to the masonite so it created a lip around the edge kind of like an inner cover with a rim around the outside on one face of the masonite.

I then glued/stapled a 1 1/2" x 1/4 piece of pine lengthwise on the same side as the rim so it would line up with the bottom of the feeder where the bees entered the cavity to access the actual feed area above. this was to provide reinforcement for the two 3/8 slots I routed through the masonite and the reinforcing lathe to allow the bees through to the feeded above.

Then I fastened the piece to the underside of the feeder with the rim/lathe side up by tacking it with some frame assembly nails I have tons of since I staple frames instead of using the nails Kelley sends. It may take a little fitting to get the under cover to fit flat and not bow depending on how deep the plastic extends down. The plastic tub has a ridge that extends down running long-wise where the feeder access slots that is intended to reduce bee space but it leaves way too much area.

After I did this I had one hive that still put a little burr comb inside the cavity above the undercover but it wasn't very much. I think they treated the area as 'outside" the hive proper like the area above an inner cover.

Make sure the masonite fits inside the box walls and flush with the bottom edge of the box not fastened flat to the bottom, I think that would expose the masonite to too much weather.

I will take a pic tonight it I get a chance and post it

I bought a couple of top feeders from a local store. He buys from Miller Supply. It is like the Mann feeder but does not have the cavity underneath and maintains proper "Bee Space". Holds 2 gallons and haven't had any problems. Much better than the other top feeders I have from Brushy Mountain which uses floats. They are a death trap for bees. Took out the floats and fabricated a screen system similar to the Miller / Mann type and haven't lost a single bee since.