Default Can bees's tongues reach through window screen?

I've got #8 hardware cloth over the holes in my inner covers and when I feed I use mason jars over these holes. The problem is that shb and wax moth can get through #8 mesh. Regular window screen would keep them out but can the bees' tongues fit through this type screen to take the sugar syrup from the mason jars?

Thanks,
    Ed

Default Re: Can bees's tongues reach through window screen?

Yes

yes............................

Thanks ya'll. Looks like next time I go into the bees I'll have some window screen and my stapler handy.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    ... can the bees' tongues fit through this ... [window] type screen to take the sugar syrup from the mason jars?...
    Yes they can. Just to be sure I use a flat toped jar lid, not a canning jar lid that is used with a sealing ring.

If you use window screen DO remove the intercover or feeder shim when not feeding. The reason is that bees hate light and will porpoise the smaller openings in window screen closed to a fair-thee-well. Or you could put a non-perforated lid in place of the feed jar or leave the feed jar in place and use a tooth pick to un-plug the holes in the lid when you need to feed again. At least that is my experience.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Howdy Scrapfe. Yelp, the one piece lids put the surface flat against the mesh. For the regular 2-piece canning tops an old beek told me to turn the lids upside down in the ring to bring the lid surface closer to the bees. I've only tried it once and it didn't leak...it pretty much brings the lid surface out flush with the ring and flat against the mesh.

I can believe the bit about them propolising the screen. I've had my top covers propped up with the bottom edge close to the top edge of the inner cover and the girls have closed up about 50% of the screens this summer. I really don't want to leave a cover/lid over the screened holes because the ventilation seems to be good...I have very little bearding and the hives are in full sun with some large tattered sheets of cardboard on top for some extended shade. I'm thinking I'll just replace the screening one day when I'm inspecting and drop the top cover back down a bit.

Ed