Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Doing some extractor research.... :)

BTW, for anybody stumbling upon this thread and not familiar...the SAF Natura brand is often listed as "Italian Extractor" at the bee keeping stores.

FWIW,
    Ed

I called Brushy Mountain this afternoon and checked on the SAF extractors. I was told that the SAF 9 and 18 frame extractors are the same except for size. I was also told that the stainless steel extracting tanks are 22 gauge which is 20% thinner than 20 gauge. 22 gauge SS metal is roughly 65% thicker than the 26 gauge metal roofing I installed several years ago on my house...and that stuff if pretty tough!

Ed

I posted this earlier (duh, I guess that's why I'm editing it, eh? ). Anyhow, after doing a little more research (thanks indy) I found that the SAF states (I think) that they are actually more like between 25 and 26 gauge which makes the Maxants roughly 90% thicker (if I'm not *way* off base). Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here!!!!
    Last edited by Intheswamp; 08-24-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Andrew, I checked your blog out. Am I correct in thinking that you currrently have eight 8-frame hives that you are working?
    Ed
    Thank you! I currently have exclusively 10 frame equipment and use shallows as honey supers. All together I have around 40 hives.

My first extractor was a four frame SAF and while it worked well at extracting honey (and I really liked the built in strainer and bottling tank), the extractor danced something fierce and I used to grip it in a bear hug while cranking it at the same time. I have since lent the extractor to a friend and I honestly hope I never see it again.

Ed,

If you have access to an extractor from your mentor then I suggest you take advantage of it and chill out this year...extractors will be available forever. Wait until you have saved enough money to buy the best quality available (Dadant or Maxant) and plan for expansion if that's where you're headed. I bought my Dadant 20 frame in 1989 and had to save a lot of "honey money" before I could afford it. But I have an appreciation for quality and I've never regretted it because it still looks and works as good as the day I bought it. The SAF stuff may get you by but there is a reason it sells for a lower price.

Andrew, your last sentence brought a audible chuckle to me...thanks, I need it.

Forty hives...that gives me an idea of the type volume you're running through the 1400. This is my first year and have 3 hives. I've got plenty of room here at the house and some more property for an out yard at the swamp. I'm hoping to work on increasing my colony count by several next year and would love to have eight to twelve hives going into next winter. My mentor peaked out at around 60 hives and I would like to work up into that range in a few years myself. I'm a newbee that's looking at a big investment whichever extractor I get and still having a LOT to learn about bees. I just want to buy once and be done with it.<sigh>

I'm just not sure...
    Ed

SWM, somehow I missed your message earlier. Yes, you definitely get what you pay for. I may just do what you're suggesting and wait a while. Though it would be a hit in the wallet I could afford getting soemthing in the neighborhood of the Dadant 6/12...23 years of service...that's saying a lot for that Dadant!!! I'll keep that in mind.

I'm also trying to wrestle it out in my mind exactly how big I want to go...and whether a smaller extractor would be a bottleneck for the time I have for extracting. I know bigger is better, but it does come at a price. I would go with the Masant 3100P but being as it's only a 6 *radial* frame extractor I'm a bit hesitant...if it was an 8 or 9 frame pure radial it would be a no-brainer. I'm also still a little concerned about the 3100's side-by-side frame holders...seems like fat combs could cause a problem, but several folks have said that it's not a problem. The 1400PL is $$$ more expensive and I don't know whether I would eventually utilize that much capacity or not. Ah well, it'll all work out....one way or the other.

Take care,
    Ed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12