Thread: Hives and Ticks

Default Hives and Ticks

Not exactly a parasite problem for the bees, but every time I check on my boxes in one particular yard, there will be 4 or 5 ticks clinging to the edge of the boxes. I end up spending my time plucking these nasty buggers off before they get a free meal at my expense. Has anyone ever seen this before or am I just "lucky".

Thanks,
    HS

Default Re: Hives and Ticks

I've had this happen in my bee yard for the last 2 years (I've only been doing this for 2 years too). I read somewhere that could be due to the carbon dioxide and heat emitted from the hive...much like how a human's breath attracts ticks and mosquitos.

Yep, We have snakes,ticks and redbugs (chiggers for our northern friends) 10 months out of the year. Protective equipment is long pants tucked into snake boots sprayed with permathrin. No lymes in this area, but after 2 bouts of rmsf, you have to do something to keep them at bay.

As a wildlife field biologist, I spend 95% of my workday in wooded areas. There is no 100% foolproof way to prevent tick bites, but as Blackwater stated, wearing your pants legs tucked into boots (or socks), as well as tucking your shirt tail into your pants, and using permethrin or strong deet-based insect repellant, you stand a good chance of not being bitten (at least not under your clothing).
    As for ticks on the hives, I've yet to see that in my yard, just a lot of scorpions under the few telescoping covers I have!

Harts dog collars. Where socks and don't let it be against your skin. Abbeville SC first day on the job 20 ticks and some in a place I couldn't see. After useing the dog collars around my ankles never found the 1st tick after that. Don't help with snakes but then again I like to catch them and handle them. Poisoness or not. 21ft 11inch burmese python for a pet. Likes to watch TV and ate the old ladies pug bad day that was. Hates woman though. Later

Scorpions in Georgia? Didn't know we had scorpions in the southeast.

Yes, We've got scorpions and pseudoscorpions in the southeast. I've seen quite a few around the Savannah River, very few up in the PeeDee area of SC where I'm at. Yes, the dog flea collars work, but will give you a chemical burn if your socks are too thin. As for snakes, we have two types; dead ones, and ones we didnt see.

I noticed tics around my hive as well and my hives are on top of solid concrete. Only tics I have seen in the vicinity of my house in the suburbs