Default SHB, bees, and Fipronil

I'm looking at some plans I had for SHB traps, and they specify "combat platinum" in addition to boric acid. I checked out the MSDS for the Combat and the active ingredient turns out to be Fipronil, the same chemical as in Frontline. Now - I've found that Frontline simply doesn't do it any more for fleas, but I have some left over. Could I add that the the SHB traps instead? Or is it too strong, or too fume-y, or something, to use around bees?

Default Re: SHB, bees, and Fipronil

I would be VERY cautious about putting that chemical in my hive,, is it approved ?? I doubt it,,

Marginally. I thought to search for Fipronil on this board, and got pros and cons. I probably won't use it, certainly not in the hive.

If I were living in MA...I wouldn't be too concerned about shb. I think all you need to do is keep your hives queenright.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I just pulled off 8 frames that had been over a bee gate for 6 days, and found 2 beetles in there. Saw another in the hive as I was removing the super.- that's 3 in a 10-minute operation, and at the top of the hive. Is that something I can safely ignore? I've only seen 1 before, but then, I'm a relative novice at this (second year).

Quote Originally Posted by KelpticFest View Post
    I just pulled off 8 frames that had been over a bee gate for 6 days,
    By bee gate, you're referring to a bee escape?
    In a healthy hive the bees will keep shb sequestered away from the comb. Using a bee escape leaves an area unprotected by bees. In that case they will likely be a problem. I think you would be ok if you left it on for 24 hours but 6 days is asking for trouble.
    I stopped using bee escapes, in part, for just that reason. But here the infestation levels are much higher. My rule of thumb today is to only remove as many supers as I can extract in 24 hours. I learned this lesson the painful way.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Yes - gate = escape. When I take the frames off I put them in the freezer for about 48 hr. This was mainly because of possible wax moth; does it kill SHB also?

Quote Originally Posted by KelpticFest View Post
    does it kill SHB also?
    Sure but why? If you plan to extract or harvest the honey in some fashion...why don't you go ahead and do it immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Sure but why? If you plan to extract or harvest the honey in some fashion...why don't you go ahead and do it immediately?
    For some reason my bees are still piling in the honey, and I don't want to waste a lot of it. I'll probably do traps with grease and honey until later in the season.