Default Paraffin and Beeswax

I'm trying a number of different swarm trap types this year, two of which are cardboard. I painted the cardboard boxes with two coats of paint.

I only have one of the cardboard boxes installed, but our weather has been tremendously wet and I can see the box starting to deteriorate. I'm not totally surprised, but would like to potentially protect the other box better so I was considering "painting" it with a coating of wax.

I have some beeswax, but I'd like to save that for putting on the interior of bait boxes, and I have quite a few blocks of paraffin. If I put on paraffin on the outside of the box, would that be a 'turn-off' for the bees? I already have beeswax on the inside and would be putting it on the entrance as well.

I know that there are cardboard nucs now, what are they coated with?

I know cardboard is not ideal, so I don't need comments about that. In the process of building my 2nd wooden bait hive, but taking time.

Thanks,

Chris

Default Re: Paraffin and Beeswax

Greetings Chris
    I am no authority on this topic, & considered doing what you are doing, but lack time ...
    It is my understanding that "early in the history of foundation" paraffin was used for foundation. the bees accepted it, but the combs built on paraffin foundation collapsed "due to the lower melting temperature".
    Last year, I just used opened up dog & cat food sacks on top of the top boards. They are moisture resistant, & they lasted for a few months. Another option might be garbage bags, but I did not run out of feed sacks. Good Luck with your traps ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Default Re: Paraffin and Beeswax

Quote Originally Posted by tech.35058 View Post
    Greetings Chris
    I am no authority on this topic, & considered doing what you are doing, but lack time ...
    It is my understanding that "early in the history of foundation" paraffin was used for foundation. the bees accepted it, but the combs built on paraffin foundation collapsed "due to the lower melting temperature".
    Last year, I just used opened up dog & cat food sacks on top of the top boards. They are moisture resistant, & they lasted for a few months. Another option might be garbage bags, but I did not run out of feed sacks. Good Luck with your traps ... CE
    I have put aluminum foil on the top of mine, but this has been the dampest Spring I can remember (at least for the last two - three weeks) and I can see some sagging on the sides. Not terribly bad yet. I would be afraid the garbage bags wouldn't allow enough ventilation.

I bit the bullet last night and coated the other cardboard hive with paraffin (mixed with a little beeswax) I used pure beeswax right around the entrance. Hoping to install this weekend.