Question Trap out in drought questions

Here's the scenario:
    Bees are in a tree (public park) adjacent to a home. The home owner wants to mow without getting stung. The city parks people are on board with a trapout. Like most of us here in the midwest, we are in a drought.

My concern:
    Wax moths are becoming an issue recently and if I use a bait hive with drawn comb, with low numbers of bees adjusting to the new bait hive. If I use just foundation, it's too hot and not much if any nectar is coming in to make wax.

What would you experienced trappers do?

Default Re: Trap out in drought questions

garyk1398..Send me an e-mail and I will send you info, How to trap from a tree along with photos of traps in progress.

cchoganjr@scrtc.com

Will do and thanks Cleo!

I wouldn't start a trap out this late in the season with no flo going on. And, the grass is burning up fast so mowing should be about over, see if you can talk the homeowner into waiting for spring for the trap out. Personally I don't think it's worth all the extra trips feeding would entale for a single isolted hive (you would have to feed heavy to get them to draw comb and get built up for winter).

Don

I agree with D Semple if the owners will let you wait until Spring, however, I took it that they want the bees out. If that is the case, you don't have a choice except to trap.

I would give them a frame of honey rather than trying to feed. Feeding this time of year often encourages massive frenzies of robbing.

cchoganjr

Got a call Sat. about some bees in a tree, the caller said they found out they were in there after the tree hit the ground from being cut down. Went out this morning to start gathering them and found the queen about 40 feet from the tree. Somtimes summer or winter you just have to do what you can to save the hive. If the owner can wait, great. If not then do your best to save what you can.

Update: the trapout seems to be working! Last week, we checked the frame (with eggs from another hive) that was placed in the "bait hive" next to the tree. Two capped queen cells were seen! So now we will need to feed them like heck to give them a shot at surviving winter!