Default Super @80% drawn or capped?

Is the general rule to add a honey super when the current super is 80% capped or 80% drawn out/with nectar?

Thanks

Default Re: Super @80% drawn or capped?

I'd go with 80% drawn with nectar, probably would be tempted to add before depending if I could get back soon and what kind of flow is on. What the correct answer?

Cool--thanks for advice.

Put on another box when they actively drawing comb in the top one. Better to give them room or get that sickening feeiln when you pop a lid and it is solid honey to the cover! They can't store it unless they have the room!

Appreciate the advice.

I have three Supers on--I initially did the 80% drawn out rule of supering. Then all 3 supers were drawn out, with a hodgepodge of capped & uncapped. I thought that if I added a 4th Super (sky scraper, I have 2 deep hive bodies on hive stand)--I would spread out the workforce, and they would not cap the lower 3 supers as fast. So I pulled all the capped frames from all 3 supers and re-arranged and added more frames of foundation and ended up extracting 11 frames (won't do an odd # again with a 2 frame extractor). Couldn't believe how much honey it produced. I put a 9-frame wet super back on below the other 2 supers.

I blew out 2 of the wax-foundation frames with the extractor--they are mostly there but hanging.

Will the bees reconstruct the blown out frames or should I just put in new foundation?

straighten them out best you can and they will rebuild but usually with drone comb if that matters. Was any of this wired? It still happens but if you slow down the extractor til some of the weight is off, it happens less. it is why I switched to duragilt

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    straighten them out best you can and they will rebuild but usually with drone comb if that matters. Was any of this wired? It still happens but if you slow down the extractor til some of the weight is off, it happens less. it is why I switched to duragilt
    The blown out frames had vertical wires (medium frames). I did crank the extractor hard on these two frames. Learned my lesson on that. The plastic frames sure held up well. Thanks.